on 15 September 2017
Not exactly a cure for xenophobia is it? One or two interesting factoids, one good joke and the other I've forgotten already!
There are, by the way three 'z's not two! There is the normal Z, the z with a dot (rz) and the one with a short oblique above it which sounds like zh or almost like the French J as in "je!"
on 15 April 2015
Boring and unfunny. I was expecting humour, but I was wrong. I'm not Polish, but still Eastern European and I was expecting some hilarious things that we do, but no, just unfunny things. I didn't even get past the middle of the book and I wish I could get my 2 pounds back.
on 3 November 2015
As a pole this made me laugh and see the fun side to being a pole abroad.
on 26 May 2017
Enjoyed a lot...I recommend to any foreigner who would like to understand polish nation...it gives quite a good summary ...
on 6 July 2017
Short, accurate and lightweight passage through polish features, beliefs and vices.
on 10 January 2011
I read the book with great interest, laughing loudly. As a proud Pole, I immediately recognise all our national faults and strenghts the author described. Not all things are quite up to date though. Still, absolutely enjoyable!
Unfortunately, delivery was so slow that I received the book long after I needed it.
on 27 May 2015
Woof!
on 12 June 2016
Accurate...
on 28 July 2016
I studied Poland for few years, including university and personal visits to the country. About half of this book is utter crap made up or based on personal experiences but not researched at all. This lack of proper knowledge creates an image of Poland and Poles alike that misleads and will give you no benefit at all, may even lead you to offend most of the polish people and ruin your business, as some of the customs are simply nonexistent country wide.
on 8 March 2015
This presents as a moron's guide to Poland. It starts of with the false meme that Poland has been repeatedly invaded by just about everyone in Europe. Anyone with even a modicum of Poland's thousand year history know this is absolute rubbish. As historian Norman Davies points out Poland has had no more or less invasions than most other countries in European, including the unsuccessful incursions during its centuries of Golden Age where it in partnership with Lithuania constituted the biggest state in Europe stretching from the Baltic to the Black Sea. If you know nothing about Poland then this is the last book you would read to find out about it. Anyway I did not get past the first page and tossed this and two others (one on the Germans and another on the Irish) in the rubbish bin where it belongs.