Size: 2720 Power 11-48|Colour Name: 1 Pack|Change

on 28 April 2013
I can't comment on their longevity as yet, as I've only had them on the guitar a couple of days, but everything else EB claim about them is true, so I'd imagine they'll be right about that too.

They sound much crisper and louder than standard Super Slinky's, with pretty intense sustain.
They bend really easily, you can happily bend with one finger, even on the 2nd fret. As I discovered the first time I played "Are you gonna go my way?"
They're supposed to feel "soft" and "silky." Well, I'm not sure about that, but they don't seem as hard as standard strings. My fingertips are so calloused it's a bit hard to tell tho ;)
on 5 December 2012
I normally buy the nickel-wound hybrid slinkys and thought these would be worth a try. It's hard to describe, but they play really well and it seems easier to slide up and down the neck.

... it's worth noting that these still haven't made me a good guitarist :-)
on 14 February 2014
Tried these out on my Les Paul studio, used daily for teaching/playing, as fed up with rust spotted E Ball slinkys. These Cobalts give a wonderful clean sound that doesn't drop off - they stay bright. They are so different from regular E Ball/Fender strings I generally use, had trouble finding my 'sound' at first - reset the clean sound on the amp to flat - only now after a few months have I boosted this a bit - these strings last. Recommend if you're gigging and in the habit of changing strings often - reckon you won't need to as often - nice even feel and sound too.

On overdrive sounds I struggled for a while as couldn't get my default sound - they are different so you may need to play around with your eq or pedals, may not be an issue on your amps anyway. But overall worth experimenting with. If I were gigging regularly playing mainly clean sounds, e.g. jazz, funk etc wouldn't hesitate to fit them!
on 26 July 2013
Ernie Ball are always coming up with new and inventive ideas.

Cobalts are just amazing I placed these strings on my guitar around 6 months ago and haven't yet had to change them (I am in a hard rock band and these get a fair deal of punishment).

the way the strings are made mean they do not rust and they stay in tune with minimum fuss.

I'm not sure if its the way i play or the strings but i haven't managed to snap one yet either (the other reason i haven't changed them) and everything still sounds amazing.

the only downside there was upon their release (i'm not sure this is still applicable) was that they were a little more expensive than standard strings.

also all cobalt strings came (again not sure if still relevant) in the same colour packet making it hard to tell at a glance what gauge you had.

all in all they are fantastic strings and i will always carry at least an extra set for the day that a string does eventually give in.
on 14 January 2013
These strings are exactly as described. You get ultra bend from them & the sound output seems a lot high than standard steel strings. I'll be sticking with these from now on!
on 17 October 2014
3 star at the moment, because they are more magnetic I had to lower my pickups quite a bit as the pull made the strings go out of tune.
They do sound a little different, and you get a little more clarity, I'm reserving judgement on these until I've played a few gigs!
on 13 June 2012
These are without dout the best strings I have ever used, the tone and high output are truly amazeing .As a blues player these strings give outstanding performance and although they are a bit expensive they are worth every penny. As far as I am concerned they are highly recomended.
on 5 August 2016
Just fitted these to my 80s Washburn and boy do they sing! Fantastic strings, beautiful sound and good value for money. Would recommend them especially if you want a string that's a super light action and bends really easily.
on 27 March 2016
These really are a revelation. Great for string bending. Clear, twangy, and very lively. Just what the telecaster's been waiting over 60 years for!! The perfect partner. Will be getting more of these for sure!
on 27 May 2014
I've tried many different makes of strings over my 35 years of playing and keep coming back to Ernie Balls. But I still like to try others out just in case I find something better. When these Cobalts appeared on the scene I thought I'd try a set and didn't really expect too much. I hadn't read any reviews on them but had heard how cobalt reacts in a different way to the magnets in the guitar pickups to the usual nickel strings. So I tried them. I couldn't quite believe what I was hearing at first... Were the strings actually thicker than the nickel equivelents? Because I'm sure they sounded bigger! There was more bass and body to the whole guitar and a certain gnarly, chewy top end that really made my strat growl. The guitar just sounded bigger! I dropped the pickups slightly and they're known for being very sensitive to the slightest adjustments (Bareknuckle Irish Tours) and they now sound better than ever to my ears. There's even more sustain as the pups are exerting less pull on the strings since they've been set further from the strings. I conducted an A/B test to check that my ears weren't playing tricks on me by recording the guitar on Garageband with the Cobalts on the exact settings I had previously recorded with the standard Ernie Balls (same guitar of course too). Lo and behold the Cobalts were louder and had more bottom end and a classier, glassy top end. The D string seemed more 'alive' than the standard D strings which can sound a bit weaker on my strat when compared to the G and A either side of it. They also feel smooth under the fingers and very comfortable. They're also easy to bend and somehow feel weightier under your fingers. Weightier but not stiffer or harder to bend though. Could be something to do with the density of the Cobalt? I really really like these...
However as with the standard strings the Cobalts do lose a bit of sparkle after a couple of hours of playing. (Could be my hands - though they dont sweat much). If only they could make coated cobalts! Shame they cost so much more than the standard strings. I prefer these to the standard Slinkys but probably won't be able to afford to use them constantly for gigging. I'll get a set for recording and for special occasions. Maybe the price will drop one day. Ah there goes that flying pig.
All in all - I love these strings for the way the sound and feel. Quite amazing -full stop.

See one answered question