Customer reviews

The Italian Chapel
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

VINE VOICEon 27 October 2013
I have heard of but never visited the Italian Chapel built by POWs 'imprisoned' on Lamb Holm in the Orkney's, so was very interested when I found a book had been written about it.
The Italians were sent to help Balfour Beattie build a giant causeway to protect our naval fleet in the north of Scotland.
One cannot imagine what it must have been like for these men, only a few of whom spoke any English. Most captured in north Africa and then being transported all the way to the north of Scotland.
Like all POWs there was a mixture of skills and talents among the men and one among them, Domenico Chiocchetti an artist, felt that having a proper place to pray and receive succour for the soul would be of great benefit to the men.
Paris's story, part fiction, part fact makes for an interesting read. The ingenuity of the men who undertook the task with little in the way of the necessary materials, the friendliness of both the islanders and the British soldiers in charge of the camp all add to a fascinating time in Orkneys history. And the fact that the people there very much wanted to preserve what was an amazing feat brought a tear to my eye.
A lovely little story
on 25 September 2017
I was fortunate to visit the Italian chapel some years ao while on holiday. At the time I was impressed by the work in the building. Reading the book has given me a greater understanding of its history and importance. A lovely book.
on 31 August 2013
What a gem that this book is and for only 99 pence. Thoroughly enjoyed reading about the work and the lives of the Italian POW's on the Island of Orkney and their building of a chapel. Such talent and ingenuity deserves full credit. Heart warming story that I would recommend. Not the type of book that I normally read but as I have stated a breath of fresh air. Treat yourself!
on 6 May 2017
Really enjoyed this story and the historical facts. Makes you want to go and see it. Would have liked to see some pictures.
on 29 July 2014
If you want to read a really good book get this one. I found this to be a moving and very good read and would have no hesitation in recommending this book, and have done so already to friends
on 9 November 2017
Ok
on 13 September 2017
Visited the Italian Chapel whilst on holiday. This book made the visit even more enjoyable, as I could picture the men working there so far from home.
on 7 August 2014
Great read makes me want to visit the chapel n person
on 27 August 2014
Lovely book. Having visited the italian chapel the book made it more special. Interesting to get an account from the Italian side.Characters very real
on 31 December 2009
I have been an avid reader of a wide range of subjects from an early age but, history never being my strong point at school, historical works whether fact or fiction, have been sadly lacking in my repertoire - that is, until I was introduced to "The Italian Chapel" by Philip Paris. The powerful Prologue had me hooked and I immediately settled down for a most enjoyable read, relating the true story of the amazing achievements brought about by the hard work, determination and unshakeable beliefs of the Italian prisoners of war held at the camp on Lamb Holm in the Orkney Islands during World War II. I had heard of the Italian Chapel and had even been to Orkney without paying it a visit as heretofore there was not much readworthy information easily available. That is no longer the case! Through his extensive research and dogged detective work, Philip Paris has managed to capture the mood and emotions of the men involved and has woven a delightful tale of their efforts, hopes, disappointments and successes against the wild background of the wind-blasted Orkney Islands and has skillfully blended historical fact with romantic fiction in a seamless fashion so that I could not put the book down until I had finished it. Whether your interest lies in history, geography, war tales, Scottish literature or historical romance, this extremely well-crafted book has much to satisfy - a cracking good read!