on 10 November 2009
"An endorsement at the highest level should be given to David Long's Little Book of London..."

In posting the above review, I have attempted to do so in the style of David Long; in other words, I didn't actually write it myself; I just copied somebody else's review and am passing it off as my own...

33 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 March 2013
This is a great book; not just for fans of the underground but for anyone in general.
It is full of facts about the history of the tube, how the lines started, how they got their names and fun trivia such as what stations have been used in location shoots.
I am fascinated now by the 'missing' stations; those that closed down long since but can still be glimpsed if you know when and where to look. Suffice it to say, next time I go down to London it will be with book in hand and trying to avoid busy times so I can have a good look for these ghost stations.
I can imagine that some people will think there is too much detail in parts, such as the fact that all victims of the Bethnal Green crush are listed. But in my view this serves as a memorial to them, I knew nothing whatever about this disaster before I read the book, if I was a descendant I'd be pleased they were not forgotten.
So all in all, a great read, one to go back to again and again, especially if you are going to be 'going underground'!
on 18 February 2012
This a very entertaining book which can be read between stops on the bus or tube, or just for fun on a rainy afternoon. Although the timeline section gives you the very basic history of the tube, within the book itself I'd have expected at least some facts on tunneling techniques, the development of the trains and signalling, but no. The section on 'Trains in Drains and Daft Ideas' is fascinating and a great read, but a section on the ideas that did work would have made this a far more complete publication. On far too many occasions the book ends up providing a series of facts in long lists, like a dreaded answer sheet from a pub quiz. David Long does provide an extensive bibliography in the back of the book, though a shorter `recommended reading' list may have been more useful. It is a good read, but for those interested in more than just quirky facts, be warned you'll need to buy something else too, such as the Shire Guide publication, even though the book's forward boasts that the book `will tell you everything you need to know...' The book is well worth its meagre asking price, it's a handy size to carry around and the hard cover gives it a nice tactile quality. Just don't expect it to be the only book you'll ever need if you're fascinated by the London Underground. Had it been possible I'd have given it 3.5 stars.
on 18 February 2016
These little books of trivia are great for amazing your friends (who knew that Circle line trains wore out more quickly on one side than the other and had to be regularly turned around?). But they are more than that - they are an intriguing insight into the world's oldest (and still arguably the best) underground railway system. This will make you fascinated about the system and amazed that it works as well as it does (despite common groans from many users). Go and see New York's graffiti and plastic seats and you will realise what a great deal we get. This book will make you proud to be a Londoner!
on 28 March 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book which is packed with all sorts of facts and figures about the London Underground from its history and how the famous map of its network was created to stories about ghosts in various stations etc. The author has provided a marvellous insight into the Tube and how it operates on a daily basis. I would recommend it to anyone and particularly tube commuters, who could have a copy with them and pull it out when there is a delay or a cancellation etc. to remind them of what goes on behind the scenes on a daily basis.
on 28 November 2012
The brook is a pot-pourri of facts (and factoids) about the London Tube. It contains a lot of hard-to-find (and interesting and occasionally amusing) information. Unfortunately it also contains a lot of padding, for example the complete list of victims of the Bethnal Green crush, or numerous (and pointless) lists of celebrities and songs associated with each Tube station. Pedantic types (like this reviewer) will also find a quite a few amusing spelling mistakes (an émigré settled in London is described as "Russian ex-patriot").
Well, you get what you pay for (£2.56 in this case).
on 26 November 2017
A genuine good book about London. And this is also a good present for people who like London!!
on 11 October 2012
This book was a real page turner. Not only did it give you a history of the udnerground but also mentioned all the various ghost stations and where you could find them.

The author also took the time to inform you of the various highs and lows in the construction of the first Underground system in the world.

I would recommend it to any one who has traveled on the tube.
on 2 March 2013
I really enjoyed most of this book, it had some fascinating historical stuff and loads of trivia covering many areas such as songs which featured tube station names in the title and lists of ghost stations.

I admit that I did skip through some sections but I found the majority of this book really interesting, hmmmm does that mean I am an anorak?!
on 13 October 2013
I downloaded the Kindle version of the book and found it to be very interesting and factual. I love everything about the London Underground and found the chapter detaling some of the early attempts at trains for the tube very interesting and somewhat comical! People definately had some wacky ideas!

A good read!