on 5 February 2018
I love Paul O'Grady. I just need to give up reading biographies and autobiographies. I found the first part of the book from the early years childhood and before stardom interesting but after that I didn't really care! Although the pain Paul was going through due to the loss of long term partner and the persecution from the media was interesting but unfortunately of no surprise.
on 28 January 2013
As a massive paul o,grady fan i was often left in either fits of laughter or tears because of the highs and lows in paul,s life from a young age. He had to grow up quickly an old head on young shoulders and take a few hard knocks to where he is today.
Lilly savage put paul on the map but also nearly exhausted him with the popularity the act soared too. From the times he could barely afford to live to his new found stardom paul has never forgotten his roots and always says as it is which has kept him in the spotlight. Read this biography i highly recommend it and you won,t be disappointed as paul takes you on his own personal journey in his own words into the life of being an o.grady and living life in birkenhead to the highlights of his stage career.
on 24 December 2016
What a brilliant book about Paul, and written by someone who is obviously full of respect for Paul. I've read all the books Paul has written himself, and this one fills in some of the gaps, and you get the sense that he is really enjoying himself writing the book. Hugely enjoyable. This is one of those books where you're actually sad to reach the end!!
on 9 August 2017
Would recommend if you like Paul. Learn about his early life and career. Moving and funny, almost a fly on the wall journey
on 9 August 2017
not as amusing as the books he writes about himself, but I enjoyed it and would recommend it sueb
on 14 August 2017
I don't know where to start, I love our Mr O'Grady I'd marry him in a flash!
Such an interesting chap, full of life and full of love for others. This book is just brilliant, every opportunity I was reading his books. I also read 'Below my Mothers knee and other lower joints' again not to be missed. Perfectly put together, his life, family and work it's all there. So read them you certainly won't be disappointed. I love him x
on 15 April 2016
Paul O'Grady comes over in this book as some kind of Saint . A man who turns everyone he meets into a friend. Friendly, kind, thoughtful,caring and hugely sympathetic. You believe it if you must. I have some reservations. In fact I have decided to stop reading biographies as they all seem to be written by sycophantic Ghost writers.
on 12 August 2013
It is written like an essay, so easy, the only thing is that also means it doesn't take long to read and I wanted to keep going!! Am going to look and see if he has written a sequel as so much has happened since then. Would love to read some behind the scenes from Battersea!! It's an emotional roller coaster but as we know he's OK now that's fine. Never realised he began his performing in what used to be my local when I lived in London, but not at the same time.

All the best to Paul in health and future ventures.
on 21 April 2013
I am a huge fan of Lilly Savage. The problem is not with Lilly or Paul O Grady. The problem is with the gushing sycophantic stile of the biographer. A more balanced style of writing more in the style of Paul would have much more appeal to me. A story that could be told better.
7 people found this helpful
on 27 April 2017
I have enjoyed all his books, they are mixed with humour and sometimes sadness, but are a thoroughly enjoyable read