on 24 June 2017
I was recommended this book by a friend. We live a very short drive from Sarah's town and she's only 3 years older than me. This story was terrifying. I vaguely remember Sarah's story being talked about when it emerged.
As someone who's been to the district in Amsterdam (albeit a very short walk down a street because I found it very uncomfortable and disturbing) im horrified by the reality and the ignorance of the government there, and of ours with the massive problem we have in the UK.

Will be downloading her next book.
on 2 July 2015
I have never been to Amsterdam but I always imagined the famous Red Light District was this: a sort of well-managed Disneyland of sex where cheerful and healthy hookers happily ply their trade for curious tourists and boozy, high-spirited, sexually adventurous lads on stag nights. Sarah Forsyth's harrowing account reveals a sordid, brutal culture where sex-trafficked women are held as slaves and exploited by ruthless pimps - themselves engaged in vicious turf wars with each other. Conned by an advert, Sarah travels to Amsterdam believing she will be taking up a post as a nanny, only to be hustled out of the airport, bundled into a car and driven into Hell on Earth. Sarah's story is extremely distressing - and not just her nightmare experience as an unwilling Amsterdam sex slave. Her troubles begin in childhood with an abusive father and further abuse suffered in various care homes. I do like to read the occasional misery memoir, but this one was almost too much to bear. Approach this book with caution; it is deeply disturbing.
on 17 May 2017
I absolutely loved reading this book. Horrifying, disturbing and gripping. One of those books you cannot put down. What a terrible life Sarah had. Such a well written book. A must read. Worth every penny.
on 13 February 2017
A difficult, disturbing topic written in a way that engages you from page one. That anyone should come out of Sarah's experience with an iota of sanity is amazing. It's rare a book changes my beliefs but this has. Sarah, on the off-chance you read this I salute your courage and inner strength and hope that today is one of the good days.
on 12 March 2015
Although if I am mistaken I hugely apologise to Sarah,I can't help but have the feeling that this story is not 100% true. Sarah mentions that she was locked in the red light district windows, yet was able to let punters in, she then gets in a romantic relationship with her kidnapper, I'm very sorry for what she went through weather forced or not, I hear she is now still addicted to drugs mainly morphine and I hope she has the strength to stop one day. Interesting book but not believable to me.
on 21 May 2017
It is so sad that any person like Sarah who has the courage and determination to share their experiences has to cope with people who don't believe her!
It says so much about their lack of integrity and ignorance.
As difficult as it may be to accept that modern day slavery and trafficking is rife unless we can face it we won't get closer to exposing it and putting a stop to the absolute misery these people are forced to endure.
Well referenced and written
on 6 August 2013
Having heard of the 'slave trade' and sexual exploitation of women I read this to better understand the ordeal that women in this 'trade' experience. Prior to reading Sarah's account I had known, in my naivety, that there was a cesspit where some women were coerced into this as a way of making a living not fully understanding that this was not a life choice but a life or death decision.
It is difficult to comprehend how people, human beings, can use, abuse and degrade another person to this extent. From her chilhood through into young adulthood Sarah ceased 'to be', her innocence, indivduality, identity were scoured from her very soul and she lives with that still.
It should be mandatory for school children, of an appropriate age, and adults, particularly males that visit and pollute Amsterdam and its like, to read this traumatic story.
on 12 April 2017
But that is not a reason to avoid it. Well written, frightening, heartbreaking. This will play on my mind for a long time yet.
on 3 November 2013
This book is very telling it makes you wake up and smell the coffee of the unbelievable way humans can treat one another, the physical and mental abuse endured and for what male gratification!, no other living creature would behave in such away and I congratulate both the author and more importantly Sarah Forsyth for being so brave and frank about telling us about this environment when it would have been so much easier to keep this locked away.
This book saddened me and brought back many memories of my childhood within the care system, one which I feel fails vulnerable children as much today as it did all those years ago in the 1960's and 1970's.
I would recommend this book to all though who have a conscience.
on 20 July 2017
Great book. So tragic but so brave