Customer reviews

Depth of Despair
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.48

on 13 February 2013
A modern day horror story, well written and sadly, utterly believable. Thankfully, not the Yorkshire I know. I could not put this book down. Not a yarn for the faint hearted.
on 24 October 2010
If you're a fan of crime fiction like me, especially when it involves a Detective series, then Bill Kitson's debut novel Depth of Despair is one to be read.

Depth of Despair introduces Detective Inspector Mike Nash, recently transferred from The Met in London to the more remote Helmsdale CID in Yorkshire. Nash is an intelligent man who hides a complex background, coupled with an enviable attraction to women and a dry sense of humour.

Nash suffers from regular nightmares as a result of previous cases that are hinted at but not revealed. The nightmares worsen when a skull is found in a remote Yorkshire mountain lake, which leads Nash into the sordid world of child prostitution, human trafficking, drugs and worse. Despite the harrowing topics, Bill Kitson handles the subjects skilfully and with sensitivity. The gruesome acts are never gratuitous or explicit, leaving the readier to make their own interpretation.

The pace of the novel is fast as the reader is taken through the investigation, involving police and security forces from Russia and Eastern Europe. This includes a beautiful Russian, high ranking detective, who joins Nash's investigation in more ways than one. From beginning to end the plot is gripping, as side storylines develop and are cleverly woven into the main plot, without becoming distracting.

The dialogue is punchy and natural and contributes to the characters being real and believable. At first I was confused with some of the smaller characters due to the number of foreign names being used but that was less of a problem as I got to know them better, further into the book. Without me realising, I was becoming attached to some of the main characters and didn't know how much I cared until I came to the surprise at the end.

I have to say, the subject of the novel is not a topic I would normally have chosen but it was handled so well that now that I've discovered Bill Kitson and Detective Inspector Mike Nash, I've become a fan of both.

I look forward to reading the other books in the Nash series: Chosen, Minds That Hate and the latest to be released in March 2011, Altered Egos.
on 16 September 2009
When the paths of a rural Yorkshire police force and the East European criminal underworld cross, a fascinating, twisting and sinister storyline is unveiled. The author manages to combine these two different worlds cleverly into one, but the most impressive thing about this debut from Kitson is the subtlety and strength of the characters throughout - with plenty of surprises along the way. Roll on book two - I'm in.
on 8 February 2013
So sorry but this story had so much potential but is spoilt by formulaic writing, characters that lack interest and clunky scene changes. I have been reading a lot of Scandinavian crime fiction that is so slick and believable you get sucked right in. Thought I'd give a bit of British storytelling a chance but couldn't even finish the book and that hasn't happened to me for years!!! Avoid and try one of the Martin Beck series of novels or for top quality British crime, Susan Hill is brilliant!!
on 26 February 2013
This really isn't as bad as some of my fellow reviewers are making out; but it's not as brilliant as others are saying, either.

Kitson has got hold of a gripping starting point, and he does spin a good yarn. As the police procedural progresses, this is a real page-turner: you do want to know what happens next. True, the investigation does descend into a rather silly James Bond-style shoot-em-up towards the end, but I think Kitson does it well enough.

However ... let's be honest, and admit that Kitson just can't do

> jokes - heavy handed at best
> romance - just embarrassing
> dialogue - partially solved by having a fair number of foreign characters, whose weird English can thus be explained away (though I'm not sure this is entirely valid!)

Making allowances for the above, there are things to enjoy here.
on 30 January 2013
This is not bad, but lacks sufficiently interesting characters to make it memorable. The author's note points out that the shocking events described in the book are what really happen in various parts of the world, but there are ways and ways of writing about suffering and horror, and I felt that in parts the author was trying too hard to manipulate the reader's emotions, instead of letting the events speak for themselves.

The sexual interaction between Nash and various women cops is clumsy and unbelievable, and seems to have been added just to spice things up a bit.

I've read worse, but didn't enjoy this enough to be tempted to try the author's other books.
on 30 January 2013
I downloaded this to Kindle because it was 0.99p for the day. Glad I did. This is the first of Bill Kitson's books I have read. I know I am a quick reader but I didn't begin this until lunchtime and finished it in the early evening because I didn't want to put it down.

The characters are well drawn and do have the illogical quirks that are in all of us. I couldn't help wondering why, when Nash was so in love with Stella, that he acted on his attraction to Zena, but that is part of life, too. The speed with which the plot twisted was beautifully maintained. I did growl a bit when the author mentioned the smell of carbon monoxide when basic research will confirm it is odourless, colourless and tasteless. I know that other reviewers have taken Kitson to task about errors in his police procedure, too, but that isn't an issue for me and when you consider the two most popular crime series on telly are Morse and Midsomer, both of which break all the rules, then few other people care about it either.

I immediately bought into the world, especially the sinister atmosphere of the two lakes and found the whole thing a real page-turner. I was going to complain about the stupidity of the antagonistic police officer, but, having worked in private industry, I know only too well how often stupid people get promoted. I will read more Kitson, but I have a rule about expensive e-books, so it will be the paperbacks.
on 25 February 2013
The author talks of starting this book with a blank screen, from which I assume he had no clear plan for his story. This became more obvious as I read on. Either he did not research British police and judicial practices and procedures, or his advisor was not up to the job. The result was a most unlikely series of scenarios which left me despairing that he would ever be able to redeem himself. He didn't. Apparently, the story line wad based on fact. I think we can rest assured that the investigation was not.
on 13 February 2013
At the beginning this seemed to be an interesting police story based around a body dumped in a remote lake, linking into the big picture of sex slavery. As the book progressed, however, the main character started to turn into some sort of amalgam of 007, Sherlock Holmes and the Caped Crusader, with a dash of Mystic Meg thrown in, with clairvoyant dreams. By the end the book had become so shallow it was a relief to finish. This was a shame, as I'm sure this could have been a far better story.
on 19 May 2013
The story should have been a third of its actual length. The obvious culprit is being ignored from the beginning of the story to only come back to him at the very end of the book. So I was left with the feeling that I wasted my time reading the part in between. Furthermore the author favoured giving dream to his main character as a way to solve the mystery over real investigation, deduction and police work. This, I found, a bit of a cheat.