Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.84

on 29 November 2012
The Half-Slave An engrossing read! If you are looking for something good to read then this is it. Well reccommended to Kindle readers.
on 1 August 2010
I've read historical novels that have a great narrative drive to carry you along; I've also read ones that give you lots of rich detail so you feel completely immersed in other lives; but I can't think of one that managed to combine both qualities; the Half-Slave does this brilliantly and without seeming over-written. I was a little surprised to find this is Trevor Bloom's first published work; I can only assume he is either a natural or spent several decades perfecting his style instead of pursuing gainful employment - this has the easy style of someone who is never at a loss for the right phrase to both create a mood and convey information. And my teenage sons loved it too by the way!
on 25 December 2012
You really feel as if you have been given a glimpse of what life might have been like in those times.
on 10 February 2013
Maybe it's just me, but this book could have been so much more. Fiction woven into historical fact is my favorite kind of read, and there is plenty of it out there. This book is an intriguing read, but it never gets hard to put down, I found myself re-reading sections as they were essentially poorly written. The dialogue adopts regional accents by spelling words how you would pronounce them if you were that character, but it does so inconsistently. The Germanic axe the Franciska is likened to a Tomahawk? The Tomahawk is a Native American word, and has no rightful place in the narative.
All in all a decent story poorly penned, by no means an unenjoyable waste of time, just a little frustrating in places.
on 21 November 2010
Being a very avid reader (and having been for the past 40 odd years), I mix a lot of genre and style in my reading list. The half Slave was a definite interesting find for me. You can easily find historical fiction about visible/significant persons in history (all the Conn Iggulden books or Robert Harris on Cicero come to mind). Some historical periods such as Rome seem as well to be more popular maybe due to the large documentation available. It was therefore a great discovery for me to read about a period generally considered darker and less documented than others. T Bloom seems to be able to weave the story of an individual in the overall historical fabric, lacing major historical event and characters with the daily details that makes this period come really alive. You can really feel the research that is needed to make such a novel not only believable but truly realistic. Being now hooked on the period, my only question is: "when is the next one/sequel?"
on 2 December 2012
I downloaded this book and enjoyed it. Fiction wrapped around historical fact and characters. Some of the narrative is a little graphic - made me wince but then it is probably accurate for the time. Not a period I am familiar with, tail end of the Roman Empire so I found the story period interesting. Look forward to the next book from Mr Bloom.
on 14 April 2011
I loved this book. Not usually my genre but it was so well put together I couldn't put it down. There was the additional bonus of learning about a period of history about which I knew nothing, which was very rewarding. Clearly the author knows his stuff and can convey the mood, details of the time and hang it all on a compelling story line. I can't wait for the next one!
on 29 November 2012
As this type of period novel goes it's quite good, it helps to to give you grasp into the nature of the rather brutal Saxons that we have descended from. However, I found the ending rather vague, it just left you wondering what became the some of the central characters.
on 23 February 2013
It's a good story from a time that i did not know much about but because of this book i would like to learn more about.
on 27 January 2013
like this book different from all the others like this as it is so different to all the others i have read