on 11 May 2013
This TV is a genuine Toshiba product, however, beware. It is simply a model Toshiba have had re-badged for them. It's a product by Vestel, which is a company that makes most of those supermarket TVs you see for sale in Morrisons, Tesco etc. It's build exactly the same as a 40" Full HD LED generic TV. There's no difference, aside from the badge!

This is the same for many other Toshiba models. It's only when you get into their Smart TV range that you find them making their own gear.

You will be getting poor picture quality, poor build quality, poor software/UI quality, poor sound quality and very poor reliability.

I am a repairer of TVs and Vestel have such a high failure rate it's disgraceful for Toshiba to be re-badging them. Most Vestel TVs don't make the 3 year mark in my experience.
44 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 February 2013
Very dissapointed with the picture. it does not have the ability to separate tones in the shadow region. Bright scenes look great but ant scenes in low light levels loose all the details. Everything else about it is great. Its a pity the picture does not match up. Backlit LED is supposed to be the best but the picture is no where near as good as my old LCD LG TV.
on 13 September 2012
This TV was bought as a kitchen set about a month ago so a considered review.

Good points
Picture quality
Ease of set up
Nice clear remote
Toshiba help desk was very good. I wanted to discuss EPG & USB, operator was well informed and helpful.
Connected to PC with no trouble.

Bad points
Poor EPG giving only now and next - sound & picture is lost while viewing the EPG.
Limited file types viewable through USB, but conversion is easy so no big deal, has worked with all stick types tried so far and a Seagate HDD.

Sound quality
Much has been made of the sound quality of this TV, I find it very acceptable for a unit of its size and a lot better than other sets in the house. The bass boost and equaliser work well. What do people expect?

I would recommend this TV.
on 14 June 2012
Bought this Toshiba as a PC monitor and never owned a Toshiba TV previoulsy. Easy to set-up (1x HDMI lead)and get going. Picture quality very good, I use this with a Mac Mini i5 and the results are not bad at all. It had built in freeview that hopefully I will use when I eventually get an arial feed to the computer area! Adjustments are straightforward using the supplied control and sound quality average for this size of screen.

Only downside is that I am unable to get the TV to read DIVX movies from a USB stick, have tried various methods inc differing types of DIVX file but alas just won't read the USB, I have been advised that the size of the memory will affect the useage so will at some stage get a smaller USB stick (2 Gb maybe?) and try again, I have tried an 8 Gb and 16 Gb with no joy. Support re the useability of USB input quite minimal from Toshiba!

TV looks agreat and is wall mountable although I have it on its stand currently, the price was fair and I am well pleased with the build quality and appearance, definately worth considering. I have 4 other LG 22inch screens at home and this does equal their performance!!
44 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 9 June 2012
I was impressed with the Toshiba television but would agree with one of the other reviewers who pointed out that the sound quality is not up to the best standard. The quality of sound does not have the same definition as other televisions and that was why I only gave 4 stars instead of five.
Otherwise the picture quality is very good and I found the initial set-up very easy, though I will need to re-tune the Freeview part of the television in the weeks ahead as the signal goes fully digital so I shall be keen to see is re-tuning is as easy. I have attached a DVD player and VHS recorder via the SCART socket (using a twin SCART connection lead) and although the DVD player works fine the VHS refuses to connect with the television. I suspect it is because the VHS recorder is not digital and though I knew it would not record, I had hoped to still play back my videos. There is also an HDMI socket which I shall be able to connect a hard disc recorder at some stage in the future as well as sockets allowing MP3 players to be connected via USB and the television can also be used as a pc monitor as well.
Apart from the sound quality and VHS recorder playback the Toshiba was worth the money.
on 29 June 2012
Just received this telly today after buying it in one of the auctions earlier this week. The picture is fantastic but as the other reviews have said the sound is very weak and tinny but I don't care as I always put my telly's sound through my hi-fi anyway which can be easily done via the headphone socket or with a scart-phono adapter.
on 31 May 2012
We bought this tv for a wall in our kitchen and although the size, picture quality and look of the tv is good,the sound quality is very disapointing and very tinny. Maybe we should have spent more, but would not recommend this item if sound is important to you.
on 26 June 2012
I purchased this TV to replace an old LCD Toshiba 720P in my bedroom and I'm very disappointed with the unit to the extent that I've swapped back.

The picture quality is average and unpredictable at best, the sound from the speakers that are in the bottom of the unit pointing down are so quiet that the volume needs to be ramped up to be usable.

I wouldn't purchase this brand or model again and with hindsight would have purchased another. As for the price tag, I managed to pay sub 180 for this so not sure how anything above 200 is justified.
on 8 January 2013
Bought this for mother in law as her flatscreen TV decided to have lcd panel problems just before Christmas. Whilst this TV is perhaps not up there with the very best Sony's or Panasonics or even Toshiba's top range, it is for very little money a very decent TV.The picture quality is good but does seem to have quite a reduced viewing angle compared to others. But sit at the right height and straight on it is a nice picture. Absolutely easy to set up out of the box and is not too complicated a menu to navigate.What really did impress me was that I ordered this TV from Amazon on Friday 21 Dec at about 3pm and .......it was delivered by courier the following day at 10:45 !!! Well done Amazon and the courier. One happy mother in law and lots of Brownie points for me.
on 8 June 2012
As above. A disappointment.

I bought it for an elderly relative who wanted HD TV with a minimum of fuss (ie. no set top box to faff around with), and unfortunately that isn't the case.

That said, the picture is pretty good. The remote control has nice big buttons, and the menus are easy to understand and work through.

Such a shame the BBC HD channel isn't included. Otherwise it's a great set.
55 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

See one answered question