Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.99

It does not surprise people were in tears when this music was performed. Intensely moving, it pays tribute to all those who strive to bring peace to a troubled world.

In turns joyous and meditative, but always inspirational, it ranges from the simplicity of one voice to the grandeur of a great many - delving into past and present, into different religions and cultures. Saluted are the unnamed masses who perish in pursuit of peace, as well as the famous names one would expect (St. Francis of Assisi, Mother Teresa, Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela). How stirring to see Anne Frank included - a life so short, impact everlasting.

World wide peace possible? Not a chance, as Karl Jenkins himself acknowledges. All the more reason to applaud the efforts of those who try. Karl Jenkins ranks high amongst them, these harmonies an attempt to create harmony.

One feels very humble in such company. And uplifted.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 August 2014
Having purchased this as I will be singing it in a choir, I was pleasantly surprised by this CD and found a lot to like about it. It is of course, very positive and uplifting, but at the same time there is the irony that despite a long history of peacemakers who are greatly respected by our society - we still find the world in this new century, plagued by constant war - a point not lost on Karl Jenkins who mentions this in the CD notes.

This is a very nice package with beautiful illustrations, notes and the text of all the songs. The surprise for me was the variety of music that is woven into what is essentially a choral piece. We have traditional Irish, African, Japanese, Indian etc. as well as the expected European classical and choral traditions. We even have elements of Jazz and in particular I liked Laurence Cottle's fretless bass guitar contribution and sound - reminiscent of the late, great Jaco Pastorius.

In all, we seem to have something from every human tradition, culture and religion - showing us that, in fact - everybody wants peace and searches after it - but so few uf us are lucky enough to enjoy it. The CD sound and the performances are as near to perfect as you could want and I can't find fault with any of it - given that the composer conducts and oversees all this closely, we have to expect that this is what he intended.

I really like some of the unusual harmonies that don't come from classical music and are no doubt due to the composer's wide ranging background - also some of the rhythms are reminiscent of minimalist or maybe even electronic music? It all adds interest and over the 72 minutes there is certainly something for everybody to like. Highly recommended.
on 26 March 2012
I'm pleased to say The Peacemakers lives up to 'The Armed Man: A Mass For Peace'. It really is a beautiful album filled with inspirational text & music.

A must have for any Karl Jenkins fan.
on 31 March 2012
Peacemakers is majestic, a masterful mix of the uplifting, melancholic and magnificent. Carefully crafted to include evocative sounds and words from world music and literature it is a thoughtful and powerful piece of work.

Solitude (Chloe Hanslip, Violin) fits well with the pure force of energy produced by The Really Big Chorus, who appear on just two of the tracks. A thousand voices singing in unison gives a real WOW factor - the 'Thousang sound' is unforgettable. It's like being a part of the crowd singing 'Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau' at the Millennium Stadium.
Peacemakers is another Karl Jenkins classic that will be performed across the world for years to come. I would strongly recommend it to all Jenkofiles.
on 20 April 2012
I would have liked to have given three and a half stars but couldn't.
Being an MD of two Choral Societies I have conducted both his Armed Man and Stabat Mater.
Personally I found the latter more inspiring than the former.
The Peacemakers - although, clearly, I haven't had a chance to conduct yet, is an interesting work - very typically Jenkins - but not with quite the same expanse of melodies and harmonies that the other two have.
It seems to me to be a little "bitty" in parts with a lot of "optional" extras a choir might, or might not, either want to or be able to incorporate.
I'm sure I will conduct it some time in the future since one of my choirs loves singing Jenkin's music and then, perhaps, when I have had a chance to learn it thoroughly it might grow on me and become as wonderful as the other two of his works.
on 1 May 2012
I have just received The Peacemakers for my birthday. It is a beautiful extravaganza of music. Bold,then gentle, peaceful and very melodic. I think there are many tracks which will be played time and time again. A big hit for Karl Jenkins. If you like his other work, you are bound to love this....it's really great (and that's on one listening)
on 15 November 2012
The music of Karl Jenkins is so beautiful and moving that it defies words and description...and we are so fortunate to be able to listen to it in our time
on 9 February 2014
I think this is quite different from the usual run of music. The fact that the words don't rhyme but are the words that these famous people said makes it very personal. The overall impression is that peace is the only thing which will bring the peoples of the world together. Very moving!
on 11 December 2015
Forget the politics. Just enjoy Karl Jenkins. Without doubt the world's greatest living composer. And for once he's British !!!!! This work is another incredible achievement of gargantuan musical proportion.
on 28 April 2015
This is a thought provoking cd. It will take several more listenings to really take it in, but after a couple I think it is a very powerful compilation and quite inspired. Mr Jenkins should not be overlooked. What a brilliant idea behind the disk 'The Peacemakers'