Customer reviews

Sunrise
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 March 2012
The first ECM recording for Masabumi Kikuchi,the last for Paul Motion,and the most poignant sleeve notes i have ever read.
The lbum is full of pure inventiveness and innovation,this is heady stuff.
Paul and Masabumi had been friends for years,and the musical connection is undeniably close,the under lying theme in this album is tgat Paul understood the complexaties of Masabumi highly original way of playing, this is a beautifully constructed album,with all the production that you would expect from these musicians,the bassist is a newcomer to me,but he fits in perfectly.
The packaging is fine .with an easy to read booklet

MASABUMI KIKUCHI.....PIANO
PAUL MOTION.....DRUMS
THOMAS MORGAN.....DOUBLE BASS

RELEASED 2012

ECM

52.01

wARNING.....The advertising says "Explicet Lyrics" strang that...its an instrumetal album!!!

R.I.P PAUL MOTION (1931 2011)
5 people found this helpful
on 27 July 2012
I'd somehow not even heard of this fine pianist before, and so was eager to check out something new. I'm glad I did. Masabumi brings a very individual space and angularity to his playing, never agressive, but eliptical and different. He's beautifully matched by the other players. It goes without saying that Motian is exemplary. The record is spacious, attractive, but also somewhat alien and questioning, not quite like any other trio I can think of. It's a good mix. Some may be put off by the off-mic vocalising, and it's present throughout. I think it adds rather than detracts.
4 people found this helpful
on 18 December 2013
Unbelievable jazz easy to get into ....only dislikes are the inane grunts of the personal on some trx
probabaly Masabumi ...he is 86 afterall ! Otherwise I'd give 5 stars
on 2 May 2012
I bought this CD on spec thinking its the ECM label its bound to be good.
Well I have to say its is not, it goes no where hard to listen to ( I listen to a lot of jazz & like most things)the recording is spoiled by a lot of shouting on it.
My advise have a listen to it before you buy an acquired taste but then again given time it may grow on me but I fear this may take some decades.
3 people found this helpful