• Dear

Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 April 2012
There aren't many pieces of music which make me sit up and take notice these days. Not instantly. But the hairs on the back of my neck raised when I heard You Don't Know How Lucky You Are. Its the sound of one man making music with his guitar and laying his heart on the line. Intense is an understatement. It is reminiscent of Josh T Pearson's efforts last year (except I prefer this). Sure its not happy - even Party Song song is downbeat. But it contains enough moments of brilliance to win you over. You keep coming back and whilst it may be a bit too much to listen to all the time (its dark), it really is rewarding, intimate and full of passion. So far removed from the Pop music of X-Factor and all the better for it.

This is an album for stereo's (the bass and space of it works with speakers). This is an album for headphones (the intimacy demands such a device to conduct the heartfelt moments intimately). This is an album which lingers (the keening voice and haunting melody will stay long beyond the last note). This is an album that deserves to be heard.
on 13 February 2011
Heard the song called Sarah Minor today on Radio 2 and it had one of those rare effects of stopping me in my tracks.Its a wonderful harmony between lyrics, his voice and guitar..a very haunting combination. Im not sure how many tracks are on the album but I have discovered at least 4 other tracks(Oliver Dalston Browning, Nest, and Party song) via You Tube and Keaton's own website which are all of a similar ilk.
I have a feeling that today Keaton's debut album has just been launched into a the public stratosphere with no doubt success to follow. Well done Keaton- you are a talented artist.
on 14 August 2014
This album is stunning and has simply become one of my 'must play' records nearly every day, I play it at school during lessons and many of my students have asked about it and checked Keaton out on Youtube where there are some fabulous videos to accompany some of his amazing songs, I first heard 'Charon' on the BBC3 series 'In The Flesh' and couldn't believe that I hadn't heard of him before, especially as a 'Folkie' myself and quite up to date with new artists but Wow! song after amazing song bleeds from this CD : You don't know how lucky you are, Small Hands and Flesh and Bones are all incredible their raw emotion, confessional story-telling and impeccable playing on electric and semi-acoustic guitars just amazing - I will not liken him to any other artist because I feel it detracts from them and from him, you'll just have to listen and find out for yourself. There are some moments when Keaton turns on the power a bit such as on tracks Kronos but essentially this is raw, mellow, semi-acoustic confessional 'break-up'music the likes of which Jake Bugg could only dream of!
on 17 June 2014
Not a word to throw around, but that is exactly what this all-round artist is. Not content with excelling in one medium, he amazes across the board. Who says polymaths are dead? Oh that I was half as talented as he...
Keep up the great work.
on 10 December 2013
What a sneaky album is this. An opening track, "Prologue", does nothing at all, and with your guard down "You Don't Know How Lucky You Are" flows into your ears and lodges firmly in your psyche as an outstandingly cherishable track. Haunting vocals with a slight (but highly notable) clanging guitar accompaniment, the following "Charon" follows suit, although the backing is more spidery, and the vocals become hesitant, as well as remaining haunting. Moving into "Oliver Dalston Browning", I am intrigued by the titles of the tracks, as well as becoming addicted to their sound, even though it varies little. Even after these four tracks you know where you are with the album, and how Keaton Henson prevents it from becoming 'ordinary' is anyone's guess. There are occasional additions to the background sound, as on "Nests", where a pump organ of sorts (perhaps...?), and what sounds like staves being slapped together (perhaps...?), add their own unique appeal to the proceedings. The banjo makes an appearance too, and does so on "Not That You'd Even Notice", where small bells are also rung intermittently, adding delight in small but significant helpings.
Apparently, this guy writes and draws, draws and writes, and that is it. He is an illustrator and visual artist, as well being a singer/songwriter, and it appears that this last pursuit mentioned is almost by accident. Without any intention of releasing any of his songs that were made in his bedroom, only intended as a gift for a friend, apparently. That would have been a shame if it had remained that way. With the music being inclusive, reclusive almost, the picture you get is one of a stationary nomad, someone who has been around more than just the block, who is now content to stay in his own hood. I wanted to know more, but his website helped me very little, as I found it hard to negotiate (yep, could be just my own IT failing, but...). I wanted to email him with a few questions about his background, his recent past and his future, but it did not work for me. Other pages appeared to be blind alleys, period. I know LESS about him having played the album than when I started out, as I want to know more now! But what a joy it all is, this music and this mystery.
This is a noteworthy folk album that is noteworthy for being just that. If this were a haircut we would be talking plain old 'short back and sides', without any frills. And that is exactly where the thrill is.
on 29 March 2013
One early morning where sleep had failed to close my eyes; I did happen upon this album, ok so it isn't a feel good happy bunch of songs; but you can tell from the album is sung with such passion; much like Bon Iver's for Emma this album is about loss. Keaton Henson's voice is beautiful and gentle, this album is purely stripped down to emotion; no loud guitar riffs (not to say that a good guitar riff is bad) this album is so beautiful in every way. If you love your music personal and beautifully crafted songs; with great vocals and honest music.... Keaton Henson is for you, he does kind of remind me of Jeff Buckley (but am not comparing him to Buckley)
it's a breathe of fresh air to hear such a personal album, these song's would fit well in the heavens with angels dancing, and the sun beaming.

So buy the album, make a cup of tea and sit under the sun or the moon and listen to this album, you will not regret it.
on 17 April 2012
Suggested to me by my daughter, I have found this a lovely, intelligent and very listenable CD. Yes it may be a little derivative of other performers (that may be more to do with my age and music collection than anything else)but is well worth adding to your collection
on 17 June 2012
This album is fantastic; I've not stopped listening to it for the last two months. There aren't many albums that get my attention straight away but this one sure did. I love every song on the disc but my highlights are Sarah Minor, Oliver Dalston Browning, small hands and flesh and bone.

Sure, it's certainly far from up-beat album and won't be to everybody's taste but well worth a listen.
on 21 November 2012
Do you find Nick Drake's album Pink Moon a bit too upbeat and macho? Then this is the artist for you.
on 15 January 2013
One of my best buys of 2012, I truely adore it, such a stunning album, Keaton Henson has such a beautiful voice and the lyrics to all his songs have such meaning, well worth a buy!