on 6 August 2017
I'm biased because I'm a bit of a Dr Who fan, so I enjoyed this.
Liz's recollections of her early stage career offer an insight to a world that feels lost somehow.
As one of the most popular actresses to have been on Who and indeed a personal favourite I think one of her strengths as she travelled across the universe is that she took you with her. Grounded whilst still conveying a sense of awe.
A good book. Enjoy.
on 26 February 2014
For any Doctor Who fan this is a must read, frank, funny and sad in equal measures this is the wonderful story of the biggest of all the Doctors companions , but this story goes much deeper than just that one show to reveal a strong woman who allows us the reader to become a friend as she tells of her highs and lows, and thankfully finishes on the wonderful resurrected career, where she brought that wonderful creation of Sarah Jane back into the living rooms of millions of new viewers before being taken before her time by cancer. I loved every word of it.
on 21 June 2013
This is for Who fans but also for fans of what do people get up to. Most autobiography are self serving and yes a bit of that is here but what makes this book above the ordinary is that it is a biography and not a promotion a la Katie price. Written before she was diagnosed but probably whilst having cancer the closer you get to the end the more emotional it becomes, especially when she aims to give Russell.T.Davis and David Tennent gifts, and the final closing chapter written after her death, well don't read it in a public place. Beautifully written with grace as well as honesty (she was not a Who fan before or after her stint)
on 15 December 2013
Well what can I say. It was an eyeopener to know that Lizzie was in fact 60 and had a child late in life. Also she was a private person, I bought this for my son to read as he got upset when she died (he has Aspergers). He finally got it when we read it together. We miss her as Sarah Jane Smith as she was known in this house as. Her death so sudden and heartfelt here as it was by many of her fans.

Elisabeth Sladen we thank you for allowing us this insight of your life and for your portrayal of Sarah Jane. You shall always be remembered.

Thank you to your husband and daughter for allowing this book to be published.
on 27 August 2014
This book is an excellent insight in Doctor Who. The biggest insight however? Well it is that Jon Pertwee was a bit of a annoying man really. That is the main thing that you get whenever Liz remembers him. He even hits her at one point! That made me feel less warm to him then I used to when I think back to him leaning in his field in his scarecrow outfit. She did love Tom Baker though, but most certainly thought Pertwee was a fool. She does show sadness when he dies though, but you really do get the feeling that she had to tolerate him all through Who. Anyway, a great book-read it.
on 15 March 2013
Having grown up watching Lis Sladen with Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker on Doctor Who, I've always had great admiration for her. She was a superb (and IMHO) greatly underrated actress. I met her once, many years ago, and she was just simply lovely. So, like thousands of other people, I was terribly upset when she died.
This is an unusual autobiography. It's so conversationally written, it's like having a chat over a brew and a biscuit; almost as colourful as a novel, but still clearly real life- absolutely not the Memoirs of a Luvvie! Which seems to reflect it's subject well. And yet, although it focuses a lot on her Doctor Who work, I came away feeling I knew her better as a person rather than an actress or Doctor's Assistant. Which, again, says a lot about her personality.
If you have an interest in either the new or old versions of Doctor Who; or you have an interest in the day to day life(style) of a working actor/partner/mother; or you just feel like getting to know an interesting, amusing and intelligent woman a little better, this book is right up your street. What a lovely person Lis Sladen was!
on 2 September 2014
It's hard to write with tears in your eyes. Witty yet poignant, with a lovely foreword by the tenth Doctor, and moving afterwords from her husband and daughter. It's a lovely, honest and witty insight into a famous show and just one of it's many stars. Thank you Sarah Jane for the Times you saved the world
And thanks Lis for sharing the memories. You are still very much loved and missed.
on 23 April 2012
Fans of Doctor Who were saddened last year to hear of the death of Elisabeth Sladen, one of its most popular actresses, who had been playing companion Sarah Jane Smith on and off since 1973, appeared in the modern revival of the programme, and had recently been given her own spin-off show, The Sarah Jane Adventures. Before she passed away, she completed writing her life story. It paints a picture of a smart, witty, and amiable woman, who was modest about her abilities, yet talented enough to enjoy a long and successful career in live theatre, in addition to her occasional television roles. Having watched Doctor Who since shortly after she joined it, to me she was a constant that never changed, even when the Doctors did. So I was curious to read her story, and I found it a touching, personal tale with plenty of amusing anecdotes, both Whovian and not. It will obviously appeal most to fans of Doctor Who, the programme that made her famous, but anyone who enjoys theatre will also like it. This is a charming memoir that took me back to my childhood.
on 2 December 2011
I enjoyed this book I always admired Elisabeth Sladen as an actress and was very sad when she died.What I like about this autobiography is that its not a "lovies" view of the acting world its a lot more truthful and upfront than I expected.I like the fact she doesn't sugarcoat things.She certainly had a more varied career than I realised of course I watched her in Dr Who way back and I loved the Sarah Jane adventures even though I'm hardly in the right age group but there was a lot more to her than just that.I like the honesty in this book and it makes me sad that she is no longer here.I think this is a must read for her fans and I'm glad to say I'm one.
on 25 February 2017
A lovely read, very well written, and brought back memories of her time on Doctor Who. But with a tinge of sadness, as she is no longer with us, and I so wish she were!