Top critical review
3 people found this helpful
It's good but I hate the fighting.
on 7 February 2013
I started with a 4 star, went back to 3 and now back to 4 again. This is a good game and should probably a 5, because I know it's good and I'm sticking with it but it's filling me with rage a lot of the time. Maybe I'm just being a full-on moron, I don't know, but after doing some research and listening to others it seems to be a recurring feature, the point I'm going to make. I find myself wanting to throw my controller at the wall 80% of the time when fighting.
It is EXTREMELY frustrating, I get killed so often and I'm not a massive way into the game yet so it seems odd how difficult it is. My issues with the hand to hand combat are :
1. Health goes down way too quickly
2. Once it gets below half that stupid pulsating red thing comes at each side along with the heart beat. I literally despise that, it's so annoying and distracting and it makes you feel like you're pretty much dead already.
3. If you hit grapple on someone, they can start turning red at the same time and there is hardly anytime, if any at all, to change to block so you just get hit and a chunk of your health goes down.
4. Combos are pretty much useless when fighting 2 or more people (which is all the time) because the combo will take a few seconds, one of his pals just pops in and kicks you. Combo broken and another fat chunk of health gone because you die so damned quickly.
5. It gets so boring because the only thing I have found I can do, without getting done over quicker than anything, is just block lots and lots and lots until you have a chance to attack. It becomes methodical, boring and monotonous.
6. The other thing I find effective but insanely boring is to run away from the enemy, turn back to them and just wait for the first one to go red, block, get a hit or two in and repeat over and over. SO boring but the only ways I've found of avoiding serious damage. Which, as I have said, is damned easy to do on this game. I reckon you'd lose health if they gave you a nipple cripple.
7. Finally, if you do manage to get a good combo in without being smacked then he spends a good second standing there afterward at which point you...yeah, you guessed it, get smacked.
Just gave it another go before posting the review and no, no change, I absolutely hate it. If I could swear in these reviews you'd think I have keyboard tourettes right now.
Any tips would be more than appreciated other wise this rating is getting lowered. I'm giving it a chance that it's probably me being a Muppet. But so far, it's making me want to get GTA IV out and go on a rampage.
EDIT/UPDATE - Right, it definitely warrants getting one star knocked off a 5 star rating now. I've been carrying on with it because it is enjoyable despite the fact that the only way I can personally beat people when fighting becomes very boring (block, counter, wait, block, counter, wait, block, counter, wait, block, counter, wait, yaaaaawwwwwwnnnnn).
Now though, I'm just chilling doing a side mission and suddenly think, "I could do with a gun here actually". So I go to the map to look for a shop or something and can't see anything, give it a google and it turns out that you can't get guns? Is this for real? Not only are you an undercover cop but, as a result of this job, you are deeply involved with the most serious crime syndicates in Hong Kong.......but you can't get a gun anywhere? Right, that makes perfect sense.
EDIT/UPDATE II - Sorry but it really is complete bollocks. I've got much further in and now I want to know, what exactly are you meant to do against the big tough guys? I can't grapple, I can't tackle them....ever. I can't beat them up because they just block everything. I can only do the usual counter when they go red but then it gives me, quite literally, 1 hundredth of a second to hit 'O' when reacting to them grabbing me and kneeing me in the face and losing half of my health in the process and that is all they seem to attempt on me. Grabbing my head and kneeing the hell out of it. I feel like I've somehow purchased some bogus version that has been made to annoy the hell out of me.
Once again, I'm sorry to those that find the fighting easy and so love this game but I literally cannot stand it anymore myself, it completely ruins the game at times because it's so damned frustrating. I'd take something like Saints Row III or GTA, with all it's guns and carnage over this bull s**t any day.
Back to 3 stars and that is where it's staying, it's what it deserves from my own experience.