on 30 January 2014
Another brilliant read from Pam Howes, telling the story of 2 couples who knew each other from being young through to adulthood and the lovely story of how Rod always loved Mandy but married Jennie. I read this book in 2 sittings, just could not put it down. Brilliant Pam, wish I could give more than 5 stars.
11 people found this helpful
on 18 February 2018
Gritty in parts but a real page turner. So glad Mandy got away from her controlling hubby and I felt for Jenny even though she did become a bit of a bunny boiler. But Mandy & Rod belonged together so all's well with the world. First rate read, yet again Pam Howes.
on 19 November 2012
I have read Pam Howes' other books and enjoyed them so I wondered how this one would stack up. I needn't have worried. It is a brilliantly written book telling the tale of star-crossed lovers trapped in marriages that they have outgrown. The story feels so real and even though I need my beauty sleep these days, I was up until after midnight as I couldn't put it down. Every page has its own dynamic and the romance/tragedy will strike a chord in every reader's heart.

Pam has a flair for making her characters so real that you feel you know them and want to know more as the pace continues unabated. Her knowledge of the music industry comes to the fore in this book too, but 'what a tangled web we weave' means that you feel sorry for the two main characters as they try to work out how to be together but family matters always get in the way. This is 'real life' writing bringing out the many difficulties faced by two people who are married to the wrong partners, but you also feel sorry for the ones left behind. An eternal problem unfortunately, and I won't spoil it by saying any more. I hope anyone who is looking for a good read will download this and as it is free at the moment, there's no better time.
on 7 February 2018
I am still reading this book and so far I've found it hard to put down. It's the second Pam Howes book I have read and will certainly be reading more of her books in the near future.
on 1 March 2012
Fast Movin' Train is a story of two people who want to be together but their timing and circumstances present one problem after another. Can Mandy and Rod go through with their commitment to each other or will their existing marriages, and all that goes with them, prevent it? Despite all the ups and downs of problems they encounter there is a strong sense of warmth through the story. It entices the reader to keep going despite any need to eat or sleep. You just have to find out if these two will be together eventually and what will happen to the others in their lives. Pam Howes weaves a compelling yarn that you just can't put down. If you want a story to hold your attention all the way through look no further.
2 people found this helpful
on 26 April 2012
This is set around the Manchester area, so familiar for me. When Mandy discovers that her best friends husband, Rod, is actually in love with her, her whole life is turned upside down. As they both try to break away from their unhappy marriages, we are taken along a completely different route to many books of this genre.
Rather than follow the thoughts and feelings of the wronged parties, we are instead persuaded to root for the couple who are having the affair, so the novel is totally original in this aspect.
Hats off to the author for this bravery!
on 19 June 2013
i loved it!fantastic.had already read 3 steps to heaven and this was a free book. so thought i would give it a go.just couldnt put it down,set in the 1990s about mandy and mike,jenny and rod who have been married 25years then rod realizes he loves mandy and they start an affair.yes it was wrong but in the end it seems so right and i was always on there side.if i hadnt had to go to work would have finished it in a day. will be buying more books by pam howes,definately one to read on holiday.
on 13 March 2012
Note to self: I really should make more effort posting reviews!
You get to the end of the book and the message appears on your Kindle re: review this item.
How many times I have seen and ignored that message?
I have read many of this author's books and done just that, and having seen this new title just had to add it to my 'to read list'.
As always Pam delivers with professionalism and I can only recommend this new book of hers for it's quality and originality.
Next book please Pam! I will buy it without hesitation.
on 27 February 2012
As usual Pam has excelled in Fast Moving Train, totally unputdownable, I read it in 2 sittings finishing it at 6am.
A real page turner with credible characters which seem so real to life. Pam descriptive writing is brilliant. A really poignant story. Absolutely loved it. Well done again Pam.
2 people found this helpful
on 19 October 2015
I was recommended this by a friend and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I liked the style of writing, it was a great read over a couple of days of miserable weather. Will be reading more from this author.