on 20 May 2012
After the success of his last album: Water and in particular the track 1960 What, I doubted if this follow up CD would be in the same class, however the minute I heard the track On My Way to Harlem I knew that we have something special with Gregory Porter. Top notch vocals from this newly up and coming jazz legend.
on 2 October 2016
I bought this after buying Liquid Spirit which was, in turn prompted by going to a concert at which Gregory Porter's voice sounded like liquid gold. This album is more focussed on Jazz than the more soulful Liquid Spirit and I really enjoyed it. It stands up well to repeated listening and the lyrics become quite political when you start to get beyond the beguiling music.
The production is exemplary and the combination of Jazz and funk with a soulful but immaculately controlled power in his voice and thought provoking politically relevant lyric makes for an album that will stand up to the years.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 November 2012
I was a bit sceptical of Gregory Porter and had dimissed him as pruding a pleasant mish-mash of music where jazz meets Marvin Gaye-inspired soul but having caught him perform live at the Vienne Jazz Festival this summer I was totally converted. He is a significant new voice to jazz and a pretty impressive composer to boot. I was staggered at how an artist could arrive upon the jazz scene so fully informed and mature in his work. Porter is a significant talent and I was instantly converted. He definitely deserved the very warm reception that the audience gave him

This record does live up to the live gig and the best material is represented by the first three compositions which are hugely impressive. As the Amazon review states, the middle of the disc includes a lot of more reflective pieces which tends to change the mood of the CD almost into MOR territory before the strident "Bling, bling" offers an almost extreme contrast. "Bling, bling" features some pretty "out" playing from the oianist Chip Crawford which recalled the late Andrew Hill in some respects and this pitches Porter firmly within the contemporary jazz canon. Crawford is far more of a prickly soloist that you would normally find behind a vocalist and I like this fact. The following "Work Song" swing very hard too and is the best version I've heard of Nat Adderley's old warhouse.

In summary, Gregory Porter was a wonderful voice and is pretty handy as a songwriter too. Nothing here to startle the horses and perfectly acceptable as a piece of jazz but a better balance with more up-tempo tunes might have ensured that this record was one of this year's most interesting jazz records. I think this is a very good album but the disc has a bit of a soft centre which probably makes it four stars and not five. A major talent, in my opinion. I would recommend this disc.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 March 2013
To make an album as good as this after `Water' is quite something. If anything this may be even better. This guy is going to be enormous and the biggest jazz artiste for decades. His voice is just wonderful and so is his music which he writes himself. Jazz has so many genres that it's impossible to define it these days. There's certainly sole, gospel, blues and his very special brand of jazz in his two albums to date, but I think there's a lot more to come.
I was lucky enough to see him live at the Cheltenham Jazz festival very recently - he was utterly outstanding, fresh, new, happy, every bit the new superstar of music and a real charmer too. This guy has just got it and my, is he into his music.
on 19 August 2013
I ordered the CD's 'Be Good' and 'Water' from Amazon and I have NOT been disappointed at all. I would recommend both CD's to everyone -as they are both CD's of true talent, in terms of lyrics and music compilation - they are a MUST BUY.

'Be Good' - is excellent and probably my favourite of the two CD's. The two tracks I most adore are 'Be Good' (Lion's Song) and 'Real Good Hands'. The lyrics and harmonies of the two tracks are really touching and transport me into a world of 'real singing and music,' 'extreme talent' and 'human emotion.'

You 'feel' every inch of the emotion Mr Porter is conveying. This reminds me of the time when people 'valued' each other and 'connected' to each other as 'human beings' - something Mr Porter has succeeded in doing well.

Thank you Mr Porter - I look forward to hearing and buying much more of your music and to seeing you perform in person.

Pauline W - Woodford Green
on 29 August 2016
fantastic fantastic fantastic-- recently listening to Gregory Porter- chose this CD after looking at reviews- faultless -Beautiful
on 24 April 2014
First heard him on BBC Radio 2's Jamie Cullum-presented 'jazz' show...

...and never looked back. Sublime vocal delivery - AFAIC beats the well-regarded Kurt Elling hands down as Porter sings a performance, whereas Elling performs in a technically proficient manner.

Wonderful stuff; just a pity his vinyl versions are so expensive.
on 13 May 2017
Again a wonderful cd - really nice to listen to !
on 23 January 2017