on 27 March 2013
I purchased this to replace a Kodak PlaySport that was my waterproof camera last year. I'm a sea swimmer and I realised I needed better photo quality than the PlaySport could provide (which otherwise has excellent video), and after much dithering, I chose the Lumix FT20. Photo quality was quite good on land, though I didn't try it a lot. The menu system isn't great so choosing the different mode types is very slow. In an indoor heated pool the camera performed fine for a few shots on the first day, however on the second day the camera was carried just under the surface for 20 minutes after which the screen whited out, and the controls became unresponsive, thought photographs were possible. The camera was perfectly sealed.

The next day it was used it was in the sea, the primary reason I bought it. After a 15 minute swim in 6C the camera ceased to function. The camera is rated down to -10C so this should have been acceptable. It was also only used at the surface and is supposedly useful down to 5 metres sub-surface. The camera had taken a total of about 20 pictures from when I bought it to when it died.

I was very disappointed with this totally unreliable and short-lived product.
on 20 December 2012
Smart automatic exposuring, good lens, takes hits and water with a smile. Get a spare battery or two if U plan to shoot in temps below freezing, one battery drains fast. Good pics with a low price tag.
Red camera is easy to find in a snow bank.
I only wish there were a sliding lens cover.
on 15 May 2013
Great quality pictures. I bought this based on Amazon reviews and have not been disappointed. Used on a kayak trip to the Nene Whitewater Course and on an extremely cold and wet trip up Inglebourough. Pictures from both activities are really very good (quality not my composition). I was surprised at the amount of features on this model, I believe it has been superseded by a newer model but if you can get one of these it will be more than adequate at a very good price.
on 24 March 2013
This is a fantastic camera for the beach and snorkeling. It coped with underwater shots exceptionally well with clear video and "Burst" photos. Beach pictures in bright sun were clear and not washed out!! One tiny problem I encountered was that I kept putting my left finger over the lens as it is so close to the edge where you naturally hold the camera. Other than that a great buy!
on 30 July 2013
I have had this camera less than 3 months and so far it has developed 2 faults. I purchased it from Magicdiscounts who refuse to refund me the £6.95 it costs to send it to be repaired and they refuse to refund my money even though I have explained that the camera isn't fit for purpose or of a satisfactory quality under the Sale of Goods Act.

I will no longer be buying electronic items on Amazon as if anything goes wrong with them it is expensive to send them away to be repaired. At least if I bought in the High Street I could just return it to the shop without incurring any postage/insurance/packaging/printing charges.
on 2 March 2013
1. Underwater, the reason I bought it....great
2. The rest are good to great.
The battery life is also very good. As with all battery operated devices, turn it off when not in use and wait until you get back to the hotel/villa to trawl through pictures and footage, your on holiday , enjoy the views that are right in front of you and save the past til later.
on 29 July 2013
We saved up to go on a once in a lifetime holiday to the Cook Islands, I got this camera back in March for my girlfriend's birthday. We tested it out once by dipping it from the side of a kayak and it worked ok.

Jump forward 4 months and we used it on our first day of snorkelling. We made absolutely sure we'd closed it up as per the instructions and went ahead. It worked absolutely fine, got some ok photos. Once we got home we submerged it in fresh water as advised and dried it off. Later we checked through the photos, as we did it started skipping through without us pressing the buttons. It then started setting off the timer and the screen started fading to white.

It was quite clear that water had got in somehow, so I dried it out, left it over night in a container of rice, used the hair dryer for hours, anything to get it back to working. It gradually got better until I thought we could use it again the next day.

The next morning I tried to turn it on and it was dead and has been ever since.

We saw some amazing sea life when we went snorkelling the next 4 days, and that's the main thing. But we are both genuinely gutted that we have so little to show for it.

I spent a decent about of money to get a quality product. Panasonic have let us down badly and I wouldn't rely on them if I were you.

If you're planning a once in a lifetime trip, make sure you get something that won't leave you feeling like we did.

This piece of nifty looking piece of crap took a real shine off our holiday, I'll leave the rant there.
on 1 July 2012
As expected from Panasonic, this is an amazing product. I bought this camera to take on holiday and the pictures are very good, which is expected as it is a 16 megapixel camera. The video recording is also very good with the 720hp HD Movie function. There are other cameras on the market which have a higher HD recording, but the overall spec of the DMC-FT20 made me buy this camera. After using the camera on holiday the major plus is the waterproof element, which is amazing either for photos or for videoing. Because of this I would highly recommend this camera and I have to give it 5 out of 5 for ease of use and results. The only technical spec I cannot comment on is the shock proofing or the dust and sand protection, but I am sure this camera will live up to these specifications.
on 6 May 2015
I can confirm it is waterproof! The pictures are OK - not the best I've had from a digital camera but fine for normal holiday use. It has a large variety of modes to choose from to suit conditions, but unless I was using it underwater, I kept it on Intelligent Auto most of the time. I like the colour because I can find it easily in the bag and I like the metal finish. The battery does run down if you leave it on (and automatically re-focusing and charging the flash all the time), but if you switch it off between photos it lasts for quite a long time. It doesn't come with a case and because the lens is not covered, I bought one to keep it protected from dust and scratches. It is rugged though - it fell off the back of the car onto the stony road a couple of times when we were trying to take a self-timer photo at the top of a hill in windy conditions and still works just fine! It's smaller than most rugged cameras, although not as slim as some regular digital compact cameras. I am quite happy with it.
on 13 April 2015
I bought this camera to take underwater pictures while snorkelling. On the first holiday, after a few days, the camera started to malfunction and the display at the back looked like there was water under the glass (despite the camera being operated fully to instructions). I sent it for repair, and it was fixed. I have just taken it on the second snorkelling holiday (not having used it much in between because I usually have another camera), and it malfunctioned again. This time, it told me that the battery was not the right one, despite it being the original battery that had come with the camera, and despite the camera taking ok pictures with exactly this battery. Waste of money, to be honest! Also, especially if you want to use this camera for underwater pictures whilst snorkelling (the camera is waterproof up to 5m so not suitable for diving), it is rather annoying to find out during your holiday that the camera has a fault... I have now bought a GoPro for my underwater activities...