Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Steps Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

This is the complete 2009 series of Dr Who's [Australian TV] spin-off 'K9' with all 26 episodes spread over four DVDs. The series is a mixture of live action and CGI. 'K9' is PG (age 7+) rated, and the DVD picture is anamorphic widescreen with a total run time of 11 hours. This set is the two K9 'Volume 1' and K9 'Volume 2' DVD cases put inside a cardboard sleeve.

Although strictly aimed at the kids (10 to 15 years old), my Dr Who/Sarah Jane obsessed daughter (now 21) quite liked this 'K9 the TV series' which had a decent 26 episode run on Channel 5 in 2010, although we watched it later via repeats on Disney XD. It's not a BBC series, it was co-funded by Disney & Park Entertainment, and was filmed in Australia with no 'Time Lord/Dr Who' tie-in's at all for copyright reasons - but importantly K9 is voiced by John Leeson, the original voice of K9 in BBC's Dr Who (affirmative). My daughter enjoyed the program so much on Disney XD, she asked for this K9 DVD set when it was first released back in 2014, and we thought it was good value at £13.99. As my daughter points out, this 'K9' The Series' is no match for cBBC's The Sarah Jane Adventures, but sadly there will never be any more Sarah Jane and Torchwood is adrift in BBC limbo, plus we already have all those BBC sets and the UK spin-off audio CDs anyway. These K9 episodes are a typical old school Dr Who mix of light humour, tight scrapes, dodgy monsters and nasty humans, and it's less scary than BBC's new Doctor Who for little ones being more like cBBC's The Sarah Jane Adventures.

'K9 the TV series' is set in 21st century London, around the year 2050. It starts with 14-year old Starkey and Jorjie meeting Professor Gryffen who's house is an old converted Police station. Professor Gryffen is working on a Space-Time Manipulator with the aid of 15-year old Darius. Suddenly K9 Mark 1 (the K9 Tom Baker left with Leela on Gallifrey) appears chasing some reptilian Jixen warriors who have come through a space-time portal created by the professor's experiments. While protecting Starkey and Jorjie, K9 is forced to self-destruct, but is able to give Starkey instructions to rebuild and regenerate himself into his more advanced form (as the BBC own the rights to the K9 Mk1 design if not the character). After this K9 and and his new young friends work together to deal with various alien threats from across space and time. Professor Gryffen is apparently employed by a secretive government agency, called simply "The Department". The catastrophic accident and regeneration wipes K9's memory circuits, so he has no knowledge of Time Lords, Sarah Jane, etc.. any more.

Although this K9 series is not as 'adult' as Dr Who, and it's certainly not up to the standard of the new BBC Dr Who and its UK spin-offs, it's still good fun and my daughter and I enjoyed watching it. K9's slight mix of UK/Australian accents will be no problem for kids, who will be used to the better children's Ozzie TV shows (we didn't really notice it). For young Dr Who/Sarah Jane fans, this series is well worth a punt at current prices, so Good Doggy and 5*. Personally I preferred K9 to the likes of kiddy faves Power Rangers and iCarly (and I quite enjoyed Power Ranger's DinoThunder season). We have the 'K9' US Region 1 locked NTSC 4 DVD version that has a couple of bonus features 'The making of documentary' and an 'exclusive interview with K9', but it appears that they aren't on this UK version (there's no subtitles, English audio only). In 2009, K9 won the John Hinde Award for Science-Fiction at the Australian Writers Guild AWGIES for the script of the episode "The Fall of the House of Gryffen" (that episode was also a nominee in the category of Best Children's Television that year).

A second K9 based series of 24 episodes was planned called 'K9 Adventures', probably with a new cast and updated to take onboard criticisms of this first series, but so far nothing has materialised. However in October 2015 it was announced that a major big screen movie with the working title 'K9: TimeQuake' is to be released in 2017, marking the 40th anniversary of K9's first appearance in Dr Who. The new K9 film is set in deep space, and is to be a UK co-production with exteriors filmed overseas and studio work planned for the UK, with a script by Bob Baker who co-created K9 (with Dave Martin). He wrote scripts for classic 1970s Dr Who episodes and latterly Wallace & Grommit. Bob Baker also wrote the episodes: 22 "Mind Snap" (with Paul Tams) and 23 "Angel of the North" on this 'K9 The Series' DVD set.
review image review image review image review image review image
on 30 December 2016
A one off special with Elizabeth Sladen who was brilliant in doctor who in the early 70s with Jon Pertwee and then Tom Baker.This K9 and Company DVD is brilliant.Elizabeth Sladen RIP gone but not forgotten.
on 18 May 2012
When this children's program was first commissioned, I doubt the producers would've expected their kid's show to be so heavily scrutinised... by adults! (Read the reviews for K9's individual volumes and you'll see what I mean!). Rather than add to all the analysis, my review consists purely of my observation; If you've got one or more children who need exciting entertainment for a couple of hours, then ANY of the K9 discs is perfect for the job..., and if (like me) you find yourself reliving your own childhood experiences, back in the days when K9 FIRST appeared on our TV screens all those years ago, then so much the better. :)

I've deducted one star from the score because, despite some wonderful sets (including a lab with a working overhead crane!), the budget doesn't seem to have stretched as far as the costume department; in a couple of episodes the aliens are simply dressed in everyday clothing. That aside, we thoroughly enjoyed K9, and I'd recommend it to anyone who would like to sit with their kids and share the fun! Perfect family fare. :)
on 22 March 2012
The original spin-off from the Dr Who team Starring Elisabeth Sladen,K9 and Company is a great story,what were the BBC thinking of,not making a series of this, it could have turned out to be big hit with the fans of Dr Who and the viewing public,we will never know now.
on 8 July 2013
I never saw this when it first came on TV (I was at boarding school), but as I am trying to replace my Dr Who Collection with DVD's, I thought it was a good one to get. Good performance, and a really enjoyable DVD of the late Liz Sladen.
on 9 June 2014
Great follow on for K9 from the Sarah Jane days, shame the cover is quite flimsy but otherwise great collection.
on 9 December 2015
If you like the cute K9 metal dog from Doctor Who then get this Australian made T.V. series about him, from my test viewings the series looks quite impressive but a little strange that there is no mention of his past, I know that he was destroyed and regenerated with losses of all memories. I am hoping that the T.V. network in Australia will make some more adventures but I have heard that the BBC may have put some more restrictions on the Australian T.V. network regarding copyright.
on 27 March 2014
K9 is just great even without the Doctor and now he as learnt how to fly, long may K9 keep going
on 20 April 2010
Though I've never liked Sarah Jane Smith, and I've tried, I did like this episode! It might've been because of K9's utter cuteness, or the fact that Sarah Jane isn't so annoying and overemotional, but I really liked this! It's sad that it's only a 50 minute episode but it's worth it! I liked its 80's styled theme song and the storyline is too cute! Buy this DVD if you like Sarah Jane, K9 or cute doctor who spin offs! :>D
on 6 August 2014
Great Product, very fast delivery, thanks