on 29 January 2015
An exceedingly rare album, this self-titled outing from Caravan Palace remains as fresh and individual as when it was first released. Though I do agree with another reviewer that the songs, played back-to-back, may seem a little formulaic, I would argue that it remains a highly enjoyable and very unique formula that has kept this album in my constant rotation for the best part of five years now and shows no sign of letting up.

Not one track on the album lets you down, or dips the unrelenting swing vibe the band have become so well known for, and each stands just as well individually or played through in one go. Tracks like "Jolie Coquine", "Brotherswing", "Suzy", "Je M'amuse" and "We Can Dance" remain all time favourites that will pop out of nowhere in my mind and refuse to go away until they're blaring round the house!

If you enjoy electro-swing then this is a must own album; if you've never sampled the genre but ere towards any form of beat heavy, fast paced music (dubstep, house, electro, blues, jazz) then I would definitely recommend Caravan Palace's personal take on this fusion over any others as a first step. And if, somehow, you've seen them live and are wondering if the album lives up to that performance? Well, it comes closer than almost any other band if seen/heard! Definitely pick it up and you'll be dancing like mad all over again.

Personally, they began as an instant love and have become an all time top tier band that I can imagine enjoying for decades to come. In fact, excuse me from doing any more of this review, but I have an increasingly overwhelming "Brotherswing" shaped itch to scratch!
on 16 June 2016
I own numerous early Rock & Roll and jive CD's as well as old swing music of various types including the more recent 'Deleted Scenes From The Cutting Room Floor', but I also enjoy lots of current music. I have recently heard some Electro Swing on the radio and TV including Caravan Palace on Live At The London Palladium in June 16 (see you tube) so i decided to dip into it with two CD's, this Caravan Palace CD was one of them. I played it through and was very pleased with the tracks and feel this will grow on me, great to listen to on long car trips or at home. Good up to date version of the older music I already enjoy, but I only gave 4 stars as it does not have that raw feeling you get from the original older music.
on 4 July 2014
'Suzy' was one of the first songs I heard when I discovered this 'electro swing' genre by accident. I have bought lots of the compilations now - Electro Swing Vol 1, 2, 3 etc and these are a great introduction to the whole style. However, the Caravan Palace material especially sticks out on these compilations and their videos on You Tube are brilliant, especially the live stuff. Therefore, I had to buy this album and it is exactly as I thought it would be - lots of great songs and rhythms with quirky lyrics and samples mixed with traditional music. Some of the songs I recognised but there are lots on here that I didn't and they give a good insight into the Caravan Palace sound. If you like electro swing then I can fully recommend this album, even as a starter. And check them out on you tube too.
on 3 February 2015
Sorry, guys, but this album just didn't warm me up, whilst the skills on display are excellent and I would agree with some of the comments made, it was a bit repetative for me and I would say not a patch on Tape 5 or Caro if you like that particular style. A bit too frantic (and very French) for me in some respects. Clearly, other reviewers are 'on board' with this album, but not me, which was a shame, as after reading the comments and reviews I thought it would be a dead cert.
on 18 March 2016
'Absolutely Jumpin', I seem to be loving this band right now, the whole band seems to join the theatrics. Their stage presence makes this band, but listening alone simply focuses you in on the fabulous rhythms and percussion this group thrive on. I must see them live on their next tour. I find the synthy vocals detract and live vocals on other albums sound better to me.
on 15 January 2014
I bought this as background music for a huge party of mixed generations thinking it would boost the mood and keep things going. It raised the roof - everyone danced, were asking me who the artist was. Even had grandma doing the charleston! Made the party go with a real swing. It's infectious and I love it playing in the background whilst I boogie around the kitchen making dinner. It makes me smile.
on 11 December 2015
Excellent...! This fantabulously French band of musicians are fronted by an equally exciting lady lead singer, and seem determined to do musical things entirely their way... C'est magnifique... Buy it, listen, enjoy, then buy more from these "Art Deco" artistes...
on 4 June 2015
Started listening to electroswing via Parov Stela....and found these guys. Seriously sexy stuff (catch them on YouTube!) and seriously addictive grooves...They play too (not just techno/electro wizardry) . All in all, an brilliant CD
on 22 January 2018
amazing album and came quickly
on 8 April 2013
I heard one of the tunes whilst on holiday and Shazam'ed it to find out what it was. Ended up buying the whole album. Full of jolly tunes which are easy to listen to and remind me of my holiday in the sun.