VINE VOICEon 19 April 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Really enjoyed this exploration of what exactly memory is, how it works and why its so important. Laugh-out-loud in places and written in a nicely accessible (but not dumbed down) way. Stylistically reminded me of a funnier Malcolm Gladwell (who wrote Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking amongst others).
I enjoyed the way you could follow the journey with Foer and really rooted for him towards the end of the book when it all starts getting a bit nerve-wracking for him. I appreciated his personal perspectives on other memory "gurus" such as Tony Buzan (who, to be frank, get's a slating in this book which is actually quite funny!). But the investigative journalist in him successfully rooted out some interesting characters and asked some difficult questions which I felt really added to Foers credibility as an author.
A great read-definitely something to discuss with friends.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I found this a valueable and entertaining read. Very well structured, getting across complex issues in an accessable manner.I recommend this title to all interested in how the human mind works, and also for those who wish to develop new skills of memory recall.
on 9 July 2014
This is fascinating! Not that I fully understood some of it!
on 2 July 2014
This is a great book! It's very insightful, and interesting!
on 7 February 2016
As far as I know this book was enjoyed by its recipient.
on 17 September 2015
A very fascinating read
Very interesting techniques
VINE VOICEon 28 April 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I really enjoyed this book, it offered a review of memory and a lot of the history of its development. However whilst there is a great deal of information about developing the memory there is little to lead the individual through the process of how to develop their memory. For that reason I felt it was a four star review, but as I didn't read it from this perspective but more out of interest as an academic, I had to give it five stars. The style of writing bowled me along and I was hooked right from the first page.
Thoroughly recommended for anyone who loves a well written account from the perspective of an author who loves their subject matter.
VINE VOICEon 8 April 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you've always wanted to know how to perform great feats of memory and wanted to be entertained while gaining the inside know-how, then this is the book for you!

Joshua Foer is a kind of literary Louis Theroux and his style is thoroughly readable and entertaining. If one of keys to remembering multiple items is to attach them visually in the mind to vibrant and resonant images, then Foer achieves this very thing with the images he paints of the characters that he meets and writes about in the book.

A great book to pass the time with on train, plane or anytime.
VINE VOICEon 1 May 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Not the usual kind of book I would choose to read but I am so glad that I did.
I was initially taken by the title and then a scrutiny of the end papers made up my mind to delve further.
A highly readable account of a somewhat abstract subject, Memory, but the author captivates you with his style of writing - it reminded me very much of a cross between Andrew Smith's "Moondust" narrative and the TV presenter, Louis Theroux.
If you fancy something a little off the beaten track, I am sure you will be as enthralled as I was.
on 1 July 2014