HALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon 6 November 2016
I've had Fulton umbrella before and was a brand I associated with quality. I wanted a lightweight compact umbrella I could put in my pocket as an emergency. But have to say I was really disappointed with this one, the umbrella ended up blowing inside out on its first outing, and it wasn't even that windy!

The umbrella is very compact and light and I liked the idea of the umbrella folding flat so it could fit in my pocket, or laptop bag with ease. On its first outing there was a light shower, out came the umbrella with opens at the push of a button, however the internal spindles that hold open the umbrella canvas looked and felt very weak, which proved to be the case as the umbrella soon blew inside out and left me wrestling to return it back the right way - Sorry Fulton but very disappointed. Returning this back to Amazon!
on 23 November 2011
Just had this a couple of days and only used it in light winds - so far so good, but I don't expect it to last very long as it feels extremely flimsy and a little too, for want of a better term, 'dainty' for a man's umbrella. To me, it feels shorter than the average automatic, I find I need to hold the handle almost at neck-level to keep the canopy clear of my face.

The fold-flat is an interesting idea, apart from 1) the rectangular handle is uncomfortable and awkward to hold, and 2) it's almost impossible to get it folded back into a square without feeling like you're stretching the fabric or bending the splines out of their natural form. I doubt I'll ever get it folded right again!

The mechanism is smooth, albeit a little too slow and underpowered for my liking - the canopy doesn't seem to fully lock open unless I shake it out, even in windless conditions. It certainly doesn't feel like you're paying for high quality (as the relatively high price-tag might suggest), albeit looking underneath the canopy you do get a sense that there is some impressive engineering at work.

On the positive side, I guess it's kept me dry so far. To be honest, I'd probably send it back if I could get the damn thing folded away properly. I'll just wait until it gets ripped apart on the next windy day and go buy a "proper man's" windproof umbrella instead. I'll update this review if/when that happens...

--UPDATE--
So, I received this on Nov 18th, posted the above a week later. Now on Jan 4th, I'm updating as promised! I've uploaded a photo of the damage to the customer images section. That bend you see isn't supposed to be there...

A gust of wind caught it and it turned inside out. It's designed to recover from that by simply closing and reopening the umbrella, but whatever happened in this case, it didn't recover very well! One of the spines has bent completely out of shape.

Don't buy this item! Luckily, Amazon's excellent customer service allowed me to return it for a full refund :) I'm off to buy a proper umbrella.

--FINAL UPDATE--
Buy this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fulton-Jumbo-Open-Close-Umbrella/dp/B002PHM702 (Fulton Jumbo) Proper 'mansized' canopy, feels to be of a stronger build and so far has stood up to gusts of winds really well. Impressed.
review image
9 people found this helpful
on 24 May 2015
This umbrella is a nice item. The case is nice with a little Fulton emblem, and the action of a push button to open/close the umbrella is a nice touch. However, I would only ever use this in very very light wind. Any more than that and it inverts extremely easily. In the future I would probably still buy Fulton, but not one of these flimsy umbrellas, it would have to be a proper golf style umbrella.
3 people found this helpful
on 26 February 2017
Every time I eventually lose my umbrella. I buy another one of these. I've only had one that broke; because I put it down overly heavily to dry while it was open. Apart from that one, they have been very reliable. It’s opens up to a normal size, but is compact when closed and retracted. Fits in most bags with plenty of room for you other stuff. I would recommend them to anyone.
on 14 April 2017
My husband bought these umbrellas for us and our family to go to China as they were recommended for typhoon season.
They are very pleased with how rigid they were and protected as they walked to work in the heavy wind and rain. We recommended it to many of our friends and are a hit with them, they wanted to buy some themselves.
They also use it to protect themselves from the scorching sun for the dark material acts as shade to stop them from over heating.

Very happy and impressed with this product.
on 27 October 2017
I've had this umbrella 6 years, bought in 2011 - still using it regularly today! It has been through real bad weather up here in the north with very strong winds. It has only turned inside out a handful of times from bad positioning usually and easily corrected without breakage. My favourite thing about this is the quick fire automatic open and then a quick push against a wall before going through the door enables me to shut it again, tie it up and whip the water off before heading inside. The only down side I can say is the size, it doesn't always quite cover the back of me and tends to catch some of the rain - a compromise for the portability really.
on 7 April 2015
This is my third purchase of this umbrella (lost the last two). Each time I cannot find a better solution to fit into my computer bag. I like the flat design, as it takes up minimal space. Umbrellas of this size are always a compromise, but I would not travel without one in the UK.
One person found this helpful
on 10 April 2018
Really bad quality, destroyed at the very first encounter with a strong wind!!!
on 27 April 2012
After years of buying cheap brollies only to have them break on me during wet windy weather I decided to splash out on a brolly which would last a bit longer.
My partner has a Fulton brolly which is great, so I ordered this Fulton one which is small enough to fit into a handbag. It is not as sturdy as my parnter's one but it has handled wet and windy weather well so far and is much easier to carry around.
The catch is a little stiff but it is easy to use. I'd reccommend this brolly if you need a small one - if you are happy to have a larger brolly I'd recommend the full size Fulton one as it is a bit sturdier.
One person found this helpful
on 30 December 2017
Fast delivery. Excellent product which I recommend.