on 22 December 2014
The second half of the fifth book of A Song of Ice and Fire really does work as it's own book. Each chapter of the whole series really comes across as its own episode and they could easily be strung together in one long story or split between almost any one. Martin splits his novels at particularly shocking places though, and this follows that trend.

A reminder - this is the increasingly diverse story of a group of factions each trying to invade or defend a land mass from invasion, insurrection or supernatural attack. The characters who have survived this far are almost all ones that I enjoy spending time with, although because of the structure of the narrative at this point, there are some who go completely without mention.

One thing I did find with this volume though is that the chapters have become somewhat formulaic - or it's just that I've read enough now to recognise the formula. The chapter begins by updating us on a character's situation since the last 'episode' in which we saw them, then they make a plan for what to do next, attempt to execute it, and something goes horribly wrong. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with this structure, but the repetition meant that I started to expect it and try to predict the ending rather than just enjoy the ride.

Still a fantastic series though and I'm now desperately waiting for the next instalment - the first that I'll be able to read in hardback as soon as it's out, regardless of how long it is.
on 20 September 2015
Martin’s books, when taken as a whole, are a remarkable and complex endeavour. I have, however, decided that enough is enough. I have read about 1.5 million words of the series so far, there has been an enormous amount of action and a great deal of flaying but as each book been consumed I feel as if I am no further forward. Always there is a hint of something significant to come but I give up. I think I will just read the synopsis when the series is finished, if it ever is!
on 27 March 2015
George Martin writes such a good book that even if it takes a while to understand who the characters are and what family do they belong to and are affiliated with, it is impossible to put the book down but must continue into the next chapter. The Dance of Dragons is a darker sided story when the characters who were up are now down and vica versa.
on 24 July 2017
Great condition, and a good read.
Husband loves all these
on 7 August 2017
Alls good arrived within time
on 1 August 2016
Finally got through this book. It took a long time sadly. I still enjoy GRR Martins world but it has become drawn out and without true direction. Still a fan but hopefully the next instalment will be better edited.
on 11 February 2017
Couldnt put this book down. Wonderful characters and brilliant dialogue. Great idea for characters to have their own chapters it gave a real insight to each one and the part they played in the story.
on 26 July 2017