Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.24

on 29 July 2017
A bit bit over done ,descriptionwise
on 3 October 2012
I didn't really like reading this book. The story line was OK about Robert Dudley, his wife Amy and Elizabeth 1. I found it very depressing and the details of the symptons/treatment of Amy's medical condition had me skipping over several pages.
on 26 October 2012
I have just finished this book and although it was not the worse historical fiction novel I have ever read it was not the best. It took me a while to get into the book, what I did like was reading about Amy as there is not a lot of information out there about her. I also could imagine Elizabeth being sympathetic towards Amy because of what had happened to her own mother when Henry VIII had got bored with her. It also showed Robert Dudley in a different light from what I have read and seen in films before. I always knew he was ambitious, this was drummed into him from birth but in this book he was very cruel to Amy. I do believe that Amy was murdered but I have always suspected Cecil of trying to frame Dudley and in doing so making sure that Elizabeth would not marry him. I do think that Elizabeth was also in love with Dudley and him with her. He did settle for second best when he married Lettice Knollys, but she was the double of Elizabeth which does give weight to the belief that Lettice's own mother Catherine was actually Henry's illegitimate child by Mary Boleyn. I did find some of Amy's actions in the book a bit repetitive. As Princess Diana said 'there was three people in this marriage, so it was a little crowded!' this was also the case with Amy's marriage to Robert with Elizabeth always in the middle, so the it was doomed from the start.If you want to read a different perspective of this story, then this would not be a bad book to read just don't expect too much from it.
on 19 August 2012
First of all, I thought this author's The Tudor Wife was dreadful, but her last, Mary and Elizabeth was a marked improvement; in fact I really enjoyed reading it. She showed distinct promise in style, however, sadly this one as a previous reviewer has mentioned, is far too flowery without being memorable and inevitably draws comparisons with Gregory's The Virgin's Lover where it really falls short to. Even a Tudor addict like me was skipping paragraphs. there are some good things but the writer needs a good editor and less obsessive use of italics which get damn annoying and add nothing to style.

A let down.
on 25 September 2012
This is not the worst historical fiction book I have ever read, but it is up there. When writing about figures such as Elizabeth the first or Robert Dudley, the author should at least reflect their true personalities (or what we know of them through history). I have been an addict of Tudor and Boleyn history since I was a kid; I must have read dozens of books on the subject. This book portrays Queen Elizabeth feeling sympathy and concern for Amy Dudley, even though she is having an affair with Amy's husband(Dudley). Elizabeth wants Amy to come to court, but Dudley will not allow it. Can this be the same Elizabeth who banned Dudley's second wife(Lettice Knollys) from court, because she was enraged with jealousy that Dudley had re-married? (Incidentally the ban was never lifted.) We also have Elizabeth telling Dudley that if he has murdered Amy, he will face the full might of the law. Can this be the same Elizabeth who had to practically be forced to sign a death warrant for Mary Queen of Scots(her cousin), despite overwhelming evidence that Mary was plotting against her. Elizabeth adored Dudley her whole life; it is ridiculous that she would have let him face a trial and possible execution for the murder of a woman who she probably could not have cared less about. Because we know so little of Amy Dudley's character, the author can get away with portraying her how she wishes; but surely the real Amy Dudley was not the border-line retard that this book depicts her as being. If this book has anything worth reading at all, it is the chapters that are presumably meant to be erotic and sensual;absolutely hilarious!
on 16 July 2013
I love reading all different genres of books and find period historical fiction normally very interesting and engaging. There are few books I have not finished and unfortunately I have found this book very laborious to read and after 136 pages am giving up. The information given to you in these 136 pages could have been written in about 30. The story is repetitive in information provided about Amy's illness and the flowery nature of writing means you end up skipping paragraphs as you are bored. You don't feel engaged in the story and it's almost at a tangent to the information provided on the back cover. I haven't read any of this writers other work and after this I don't think I will be.
I found this to be an interesting story, it's about Amy Robsart (wife of Robert Dudley) and is told from both her point of view and that of the 3rd woman in her marriage (Elizabeth I). Most books barely mention Amy so it is good to find a book which tells us more about her,plus I liked the way you got to hear the story from the viewpoint of both women. However the writing was so overly descriptive that I found it quite hard going at times, it took me more than half the book to properly get into it.

That said I am glad I persisted and I did read another of her books (The Tudor Wife) after and I found that a little easier to read.
on 19 September 2012
i thought this book was dreadful. Very Mills & Boon - I am a lover of the Tudor period but thought this book was wishy washy nonsense! The entire book seems to consist of repetitive, descriptive detail of how Amy Robsart repeatedly tries to impress Dudley - whilst he repeatedly humiliates and beats her - with no real substance or story -I skimmed loads of it and eventually gave up half way through - sorry to say as I have enjoyed previous books by this author -
on 9 May 2013
I have to say this was one of the most dreadful historical novels I have read. There was no substance to the writing, it was full of metaphors, and was excessively descriptive, flowery and full of unnecessary italics, hyphens, capital letters etc. I gave up in frustration and will not be reading any further books by this author.
on 23 January 2013
The writer concentrated to much on what Amy thought and the past, rather than tell the story from her point of view. The chapters with Elizabeth as the main story teller were more interesting. Very dissapointed.