Customer reviews

on 5 October 2016
I discovered the author through her light and lovely Aelfenhyme series, and wouldn't have read this series if they weren't free - but I loved them and I'm left hankering for more about the Malykant, and especially his friend Nanda. This mix of fantasy and crime story is beautiful woven, like all Charlotte English's writing, with unexpected touches of humour, especially in books three and four, that had me laughing aloud. I do hope there will be a Nanda novel some time, or even one exploring Konrad's becoming the Malykant in detail.
on 24 March 2012
Konrad Savast is a man with a very peculiar mission: when someone is murdered, his job is to kill the killer. But first he has to figure out who's resposible, meaning this story is at its heart a murder mystery, albeit set in a fantasy world. The fantasy elements mesh perfectly with the mystery plot: Konrad has two spirit serpents who accompany and assist him, and his work is all at the behest of the Malykt, a cold power who has bound Konrad in his service.

I really liked the interactions between Konrad and his only friend, Irinanda (who doesn't know about his secret identity, and also has secrets and powers of her own). This is the first in the Malykant series, so I'm looking forwards to seeing how future books will develop this relationship. The bad guys were a bit less believable, but such a short format doesn't leave much space for developing all the minor characters, and this didn't really detract from my enjoyment.
on 8 June 2013
Enjoyed all three shortish stories in this series and although unusual reading, there were good story lines in each book, including this one. Not a lot of slaughter, blood and gore as in some other books within the fantasy/magical topic range, which I find a little distasteful and rather unnecessary to be truthful.

Having read a number of stories/books by Charlotte E. English, which I have enjoyed very much, I would be happy to download more onto my Kindle.

Would definitely recommend this book to others who like this type of read.