Customer reviews

on 28 June 2017
An ancient evil is threatening the kingdom. Merlin has succumbed to it, Uther Pendragon is too busy planning his abdication proclamation, and it is left to a motley crew of dwarfs and wizards to save the day.
on 3 June 2012
Combine Sir Terry Pratchett with a bit of Tolkein, the occasional nod towards J K Rowling and some British Mythology and you get this book. Laugh out loud funny in places. Will make you think about slugs in a different light!.. With the occasional prophecy from Nostradimwit thrown in. With wizards who are not very good a wizzing, a fun read, and by the looks of it a start of a much anticipated series .....
on 7 June 2015
I like a bit of silly and this was certainly a bit of silly.
An inexperienced wizard is employed to cast a spell to help the fishermen catch lots of fish, instead the spell wakes up a nasty demon who has been trapped for a very long time under the sea. The demon's form is a massive slug that eliminates anything it slimes over.

With the freedom fighter rabbits, the wizard and his dwarf friend banished from Camelot and the inhabitants of Redbrush Hall, this is a great cast of characters. The nasty shape-shifting slugs need to be beaten, but none of the heroes are aware that there is any enemy.

My favourite characters were the rabbits and I loved their "rebel names". And this book has my favourite line ever in it. If you've read it, it's the "sym" bit.

So yes, this book is silly and a bit childish at times, but I found it wonderfully fun to read. I came across it by accident, I think the cover is a bit rubbish, but I totally recommend giving it a go and I'm going to read the next ones.
on 19 May 2014
If you like Terry Pratchett, Robert Rankin, etc, you'll love this book. Not finished the first one yet, and I have just bought the next 2.

Very good fun, and laugh out loud moments.

I do hope this author writes some more.
on 27 February 2013
Let me first state that I got all three of this series and read them fairly quickly which implies that they are very readable. The author is obviously British as some references wouldn't make as much sense to an American audience. The plots are well constructed and without any obvious holes.

The books are humourous but whereas Terry Pratchett has a lot of subtle humour these are closer to Robert Asprin or Piers Anthony in that most of the humour is either puns or unsubtle. The jokes did on occasion make me laugh but I often felt that the author was trying too hard. The next two books are a bit better in this regard.

If you want a book that is easy reading and relaxing rather than challenging and you like fantasy then this is for you.
on 26 April 2012
A rollicking, rambunctious read about wizards, demonic creatures, and their spells, curses and enchantments.

There are powerful, shape-changing slug-thingies, hopeless magicians with their exploding dragons, as well as an irascible dwarf - and, of course, the fiendish, Marxist rabbits.

See Merlin himself swallowed.
See big houses eaten whole.
See lots of beer glugged down.

There are jokes, puns, and unlikely modern allusions, along with the most ancient prophecies of the infamously inaccurate Nostradimwit.

A first-class first volume in what seems to be a series.
on 13 March 2013
I loved this book, it was very funny. Can Gwydden (wizard) and Hergrim (dwarf) save Camelot from a giant shape shifting, people eating, evil slug creature? This was great, funny with a good story and I highly recommend it, I have already read book 2 which I enjoyed just as much. I am hoping for many more Camelot Wizards books.
*also wanted to mention how much I liked the footnotes following the end of the paragraph they were in. I think this is a much better solution than clicking to follow the link then going back to where you were to continue reading.
on 25 March 2013
What a fun story! Really kept me entertained and I love the references littered throughout the book to various other stories/fairtales/myths/etc. Whether you pick up on them all or not, doesn't matter at all, but it does make you go 'aha! I get it'.
The writing is good as is the editing, so no problems there.
Overall I recommend it as a good read filled with adventure/fun/wizards/slugs/humour!

(Currently reading the next book 'Wizards Behaving Badly' and it's just as good, if not better!)
on 13 February 2017
I could make an endless list of authors and stories that make an appearance in this book! But that would be unfair to Mr Naylor who has, using his own style, woven a cleverly crafted tale that had me laughing out loud!
on 20 December 2013
You really need to have read the previous books in the series to fully appreciate this story but even if you haven't it is still a very funny tale with good character depiction.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse