Format: Kindle Edition|Change

great read
on 11 June 2017
To slow for my taste.
on 10 April 2013
I bought this on Kindle just before a flight almost as an impulse buy. I am very glad I did. It made the long-haul flight go quickly and I highly recommend it.

Nice historical details, great weaving of characters, some good twists and a good ending. Really excellent.
Whilst I love historical fiction (particularly Bernhard Cornwell) I have always felt less keen on Roman fiction; but this book has made me re-think this. Having read his second bookThe Fortune of Carthage which is possibly even better) I am now of to buy some Simon Scarrow novels.
on 25 October 2013
Not the typical Roman novel but still worth the money and a good read. A good story line(s) but a bit short on action for me personally but don't let that put you off.
on 27 March 2014
A clever novel set in the old republic but with twist and turns along the way.I reminded me of books by the late great David Gemmel or Bernard Cornwall
on 6 February 2014
I have to admit to struggling to get going with this book, but once into the story it picked up. It's the first Kelso book I've read but it certainly hasn't put me off buying others. The characterizations are good and the writing is solid.
I like to read a lot of new authors, or different authors works and I've just read the first 4 chapters of his new work Devotio - house of Mus which is much pacier and more my cup of tea.
on 26 September 2016
Personal favourite subject - historical fiction from the days of the Roman Empire. Thoroughly recommend.
on 1 March 2013
I don't usually write reviews but wanted to say a few words about this book as I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. I've studied ancient history a bit and had a love of Roman history for many years. I don't usually buy novels but thoroughly enjoyed this one. I've learned a lot and, more than that, really felt that I understood what it was like to be there. A great read, I see there is a follow up now so off to buy that too.
on 17 November 2013
ivread some of these, there like westerns , but language used is latin, this is well crafted, a good read.
on 31 October 2013
Absolute poppycock of a story ,nothing gels ,far fetched and without a true plot ,it just meanders along ,for heavens sake write more honestly ,not a James Bond themed story