on 9 February 2013
I was a great fan of Armistead Maupin's Tales from the City and its sequels, capturing as they did the 80s and beyond of the San Francisco alternative and gay scenes. Glad to be able to buy a new edition to revisit those times. These are soap operas in a way, but so entertaining and witty. I think reading Maupin, at his most light-hearted, is like reading a lovely gossipy letter from a friend. Easy reading, and that's no small recommendation. It takes talent to make prose so smooth.
on 19 November 2013
My bestest friend in the whole wide world kept this little secret hidden from me for over 13 years. I recently had to go into hospital for a major operation and she bought me the first three Tales of the City books to read whilst recuperating. Six weeks later I have now read 6 of the sequence, am in the middle of "Michael Tolliver Lives", have one more to go before having to wait in rabid anticipation for the final instalment, "The Days of Anna Madrigal" to be published in January 2014. I purchased "Significant Others" on Kindle because I'd just finished the "Babycakes" paperback and couldn't wait to go to the shop the next day. Albeit slightly the fault of my so called bestest friend in the whole wide world, but I can't believe it took me so long to find Mike, Anna, Brian, Mary Ann, DeDe et al, but my goodness, don't I feel blessed. If you are searching for a little solace and comfort, with friends who will love you no matter who you are and what you do, who will take the fear away and help you realise that everything is going to be OK, then pick up Tales of the City - start on page one and enjoy. It's a book romance you will never forget. Don't wait.
on 28 January 1999
The series goes on in leaps and bounds. The Tales of...series are one of the few sets of books to make me laugh and cry-usually within the same chapter. The usual characters that I have come to love are all there,finding new loves and facing the dark spector of AIDS. Classy writing. I'm looking forward to starting Sure Of You, just dreading finishing it.
on 28 March 2000
I have read all of Maupin's books and I think that every single one of them is brilliant. However if I had to pick a favourite it would definitely be 'Significant Others'. It has to be one of the funniest books ever written and I found all the lesbian camp scenes contained some of Maupin's best and most highly strung plotlines.
on 11 May 2014
The TOTC just gets better with every volume. Like catching up with old friends time and again it makes you feel good
on 23 March 2013
Another slice of quiet wit and beautifully staged characters, don't miss out get into Maupin now you won't regret it
on 26 February 2015
My favourite Tales of the City book -
on 26 April 2010
This is the fifth chronicle in the Tales of the City and the characters are beginning to feel a bit like family. This continues to be one of the few sets of books to make me laugh and cry. All the old characters are all there, finding new loves and facing growing up among the awareness of AIDS. I am really looking forward to starting Sure Of You (the last book) but am dreading finishing it!
on 14 December 2014
Another great tale
Armistead Maupin is one of the greatest living authors of this century. The pinnacle of his achievement is the Tales of the City series of which this is the fourth. It is wonderful in every way. Great characters, totally stylish, witty, moving, political, sexually liberated and enormous fun. By the time you have read this far you will love all the characters to death and there are some great nail biting scenes based on the cult figure of Jim Jones. Just buy it, buy them all.