on 29 March 2013
I use this mic for producing radio and podcasts from my ipad or android phone. It really does produce a better sound on both devices, and has an adjustable switch for proximity. It somewhat mutes background noise which is helpful. Pleased with my purchase.
44 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought this for use with my HTC One (M8) smartphone for making fieldrecordings of interviews and music for my ethnomusicological research which requires me to have a discrete and small microphone. The mic is about how good I would expect for the price i.e. not very good, but there are some advantages too.

Pros:
•It's much more directional than the default mic on my phone so it's good for cutting down on background noise.
•It has a poor bass response which can make speech clearer if there's wind

Cons:
•Poor bass response makes speech and music sound tinny and less satisfying
•Quality overall is no improvement on the phone's in-built mic
•Only records in mono—no stereo.
on 21 March 2017
The more I use it the more I respect this little device. I carry it around with an iPod in my pocket and have been able to make innumerable spontaneous recordings for my video hobby. You can never tell when you are next to the very bush a blackbird has decided to sing in.
on 7 March 2017
Tested it with iPad 3, iPhone6s, using the iRig app, using Voice Record app and using Apple voice memo app. Used it in high position and low, testing circumstances always the same. The iRig Mic Cast made ZERO difference to the audio quality compared to the in-built mic. At best, mine was defective. Returned to Amazon.
on 15 August 2015
Bought this to use with my Huawei Y530 and iPod Touch 4th Generation, the video demonstration I saw of it before buying made it seem like it would offer a much better quality than what I found when using it.

It's great that it's just plug and play but the audio was still rather tinny and in a environment with background noise a lot of it was picked up even with the setting that were suggested in the video.

Its a nice adapter if you're needing one but I would say don't expect miracles from it, its not going to give you the quality of something like the Zoom H4n or other Zoom recorders.
on 1 October 2015
I did a spot test with this shortly after purchase On my HTC One m8 (recording first without the mic then on his setting followed by lo).

On lo setting the mic did dampen (not remove) quite a bit of background noise and wasn't great.

The hi setting sounded lower quality then not using the mic at all and just seemed to replicate the phones built in speakers but muffled it

I may try with a different device but as of right now I feel like just throwing it in the bin.
on 1 February 2016
I'm very impressed with the sound quality of this microphone. It's a great deal better than the iPhone's built in mic and has reduced background noise.

The mic would be even better with a further pop shield to reduce the occasional peak in some situations.
on 29 September 2015
This is terrible. 3rd party app, convoluted and messy sign up (not even needed really, just harvesting emails for spam)
The quality is no better than internal mic and no louder. Build is also awful with loose parts - very, very poor.
on 25 January 2016
Quality is hardly different from the quality of recording from Apple Headphones... quickly returned this item.
on 18 March 2013
good mic.although a bit complicated to use. instructions don't go into enough detail. Had to go on to u-tube for instructions.