on 10 August 2013
I like many have an amateur interest in physics, and I have to say this book has become one that I repeatedly pick up for a re-read. Parsons effectively mixes popular concepts with complex physical mechanisms which would, in my view, make this book a must for any GCSE or A-Level physics student. He doesn't shy away from complex physical concepts, though clearly this is not a book for the experts. But if you're curious about Einstein's theories of relativity, time dilation, the wackiness of quantum physics and all the rest, you could do much worse than begin with this gem.
on 3 March 2016
So simply that as a teacher of secondary science I gave up up on it. But bored one day I reopened this one and continued along only to be completely absorbed in it after only a few more chapters.

It does increase substantially in its depth into mainstream science and pokes its nose regularly into the more esoteric salty seas' science.
on 27 July 2011
I enjoyed reading this book; very well written, easy to read. The subjects are in a chronical order - when, for example, probability is mentioned it will have been explained in earlier chapter.
on 6 March 2013
As someone who is scientifically challenged, I am finding this little gem enormously helpful. It is clear and easy to follow and fun as well. Thank you, Paul for showing me that physics is every where!
on 11 January 2014
Great insight into the unlimited applications of modern physics to the current and future world we live in. Written in an accessible manner for anyone to enjoy. Fantastic read for those who are interested to learn anything physics-related.
on 17 February 2013
Interesting mix of topics explained simply with a nice cross reference feature so you can dip in at random and then follow a trail of related chapters.

I read a lot of popular science so I soaked it all up. If you don't then this might be a good way to start as everything is in bite size chunks.

Clear, interesting and up to date.
on 26 January 2013
The title of this book suggests that it's going to be more of an "entertaining" read and whilst it was a very enjoyable and entertaining book, the title should not be taken too literally. Instead, the book works by having very over the top chapter titles and then loosely relating these to explain the more fundamental aspects of physics. If you have a basic understanding or interest in physics then this book is perfect for you. If however, you want to read about “destroying the universe" then I would probably give it a miss. All in all though, to a physics geek such as myself, a very, very cool book that has simplified various concepts I had difficulty in grasping before I read this book.
on 12 March 2013
Found this book provided a great explanation of many physics principles I wish I understood! I now know much more about particle physics than I ever though I would!
on 14 January 2013
This book is like a series of explanations that delve into the more theoretical side of physics. Written in a way that will help a layman, it still manages to melt the brain in sections. Brilliant book for someone who has an interest in physics, but has not had the education perhaps?
on 12 February 2013
Great book but can't find the chapter on 'How to destroy the universe'. Would recommend it to anyone over about the age of 15. There are literally 34 other really interesting uses of physics. Super and one of the best books I have ever read.