Customer reviews

on 27 March 2016
This is a brilliant book, but I purchased it not because I'm a dancer of movement professional. I play the drums, and found it interesting to understand how the body really works in regards to movement, and approaches to improve movement. Eric provides a very detailed outline of methods of imagery, which are aid movement. He also provides a fantastic section on anatomy which would rival medical text books. His writing is insightful, clever, and presented with well thought out illustrations, and exercises to improve movement. I've recently given up working in an office, and pursuing my life long passion to play drums professionally, and this book has certainly help me in regards to; posture, relaxation of muscle groups, understanding of particular movements, and general well being. An interesting, but unintended benefit which also occurred was that mood improved dramatically (I suffer with depression), and as a result of improving my posture, and sitting upright, and using the imagery, I've found I'm alot happier these day.
on 18 November 2009
I have purchased over 10 copies of this book. The first was for myself and the rest have been gifts for other people.

My Pilates teacher recommended this book. I particularly used the visualisation exercises for alignment of the knee. A few months later my life-long knee problem had evaporated. Sounds simple, but it was not. The exercises were the starting point, and required real persistence to keep on using them together with Pilates all the time I was walking, standing or running.

Each part of the body is reviewed from the perspective of movement. Joints are explained with good clear diagrams. Visualisations are introduced with many practical exercises in step by step detail.

This book is NOT the solution to all problems with body movement, but it is a good book and I recommend it.
on 21 February 2013
As it states on the cover Perfect for Dance Yoga Pilates Atheletes Injury rehab Performing arts and I will add my particular expertise Martial arts.
Absolute must for serious practicioners.
on 8 November 2014
This is a must have, but a sizable commitment to read, digest, implement. Not for beginners. Start with his smaller handbooks. Perfect work, but one has to grow into it, with time. The difficulty is in you, not in the book, really :)
on 29 August 2016
An absolute must for any teacher/pupil of yoga, dance, ergodynamic exercise, in short all forms of body work or massage techniques. A brilliant book of cutting edge thought and practical exercises to help rethink our approach to keeping the body aligned and healthy. Cretainly illustrates how to avoid becoming hooked by the fantasy promise of quick fix manipulations, pharmacuetical therapies or surgical techniques. It's your body learn to take responsibility for its' up keep.
on 1 June 2017
The book arrived very quickly, it will be a very good reading for my pilates studies
on 17 May 2005
I love this book. As a yoga teacher and teacher trainer I find the techniques he uses invaluable for helping students work into postures, and for offering teachers ways to think about the energy movement within posture. For personal use the text is also helpful in guiding more delicate alignment and in engaging the mind with the body's work. I'd strongly recommend this book to anyone working with yoga, pilates or similar body alignment techniques.
on 10 December 2001
Franklin offers a second version on Sweigard's (1974) ideokinesis. Especially useful are his illustrations and psychological mentionings from child psychology.
He fails to mention important scientific reserach by Hanrahan on this topic. After thorough explanations I desired often a summary and guidance what to do with the presented knowledge and why it was important, eg. exercises are often given without explaining their practical usage.
I find his approach quite based in Western dance tradition and Western philosophical context.
Nevertheless his book is an essential introduction to a revolutionary way of thinking through instruction.
on 15 June 2014
Fantastic consolidation of thinking, food for thought and input to explain movement more successfully to clients...visually explained with links for more info.
on 2 May 2013
It's been a great source for references, due to its' size it's not a book you can take everywhere you go but a great one for the shelf!