on 16 May 2017
A good little travel camera, that is both versatile and compact, but I keep having problems with the lens cover/inter-leaving screen which constantly jams due to minuscule motes of dust, etc ... or when under the slightest pressure it becomes deformed and refuses to open or close!. This is the third Canon compact that I have had that has done this and its a right pain because to get the camera repaired almost costs as much to replace it ... making it very, very poor value for money. I did send two of my cameras in to Canon as evidence of a possible design weakness they may care to use to improve their lens cover system, but all I got was a letter saying my cameras were not covered by their repair programme and a denial of any responsibility (as if by admitting that my idea might be worth following up, they might be opening themselves up to some sort of claim). As far as I can tell Canon are still using the same system as my latest camera is now struggling with the same problem!
on 11 November 2013
Have had this approx. two weeks now and have taken it on holiday where I had a chance to get to know and use it in depth. I am an amateur photographer used to full and cropped frame SLR cameras, but wanted something a little smaller and lighter for such occasions as holidays etc. This meets the need beautifully. It took me a little time to familiarize myself with the various controls as my main equipment is NIKON. I criticize Canon for not providing a printed manual, thereby necessitating a very considerable amount of work in downloading and printing it myself -not good - hence 4 stars. True, they provide a full manual on the enclosed CD, but that's of no use when sitting by the pool trying to work out how to set the camera up!
The camera itself is fairly easy to use - I say "fairly" - it does require patience in getting to grips with how the menu works, but once you get into "their mode of thinking" the layout of each area begins to fall into place. The control wheel can be a bit fiddly, but once again it's a matter of getting used to it. The only other down side is really something that is common with most (if not all ) "point and shoot" cameras, trying to compose a scene / picture in any bright conditions e.g. sunlight, is impossible, as you simply cannot see anything on the screen. It's really a matter of point, shoot, then check and see what you've got!
Apart from these "down" points, the actual quality of the pictures is good. It only takes Jpegs, but the colour quality is good and the various scene options certainly help for a quick selection.
Overall I would recommend this as a quick, light and easy alternative to a more heavy and complicated SLR camera.
on 8 September 2013
bought it for a holiday trip, so many features to play with and the images are superb, a camera small enough for your jacket pocket, i wish the battery had a better life whilst out, but i was shooting a lot of pictures, that would be the only down side, i was in the norwegian fjords so it was to be expected!, dont expect dslr results, but i challenge anyone to tell the difference between some of the pictures i took with this little camera and pictures taken with a bridge camera or even dslr, btw which quite a few had, at least i could put mine in my pocket out of the way, zoom was impressive, 20x optical and then it went to 80x digital! impressed as i did not expect it but you would need a tripod for the digital zoom, i used to buy fujifilm and kodak cameras but i think i will stick with canon from now on, quality even from this size of camera.
on 17 July 2014
I'm absolutely delighted with the Canon Powershot SX240! Great on close-ups, fantastic zoom and beautiful colours. It's better than my Sony Cybershot DSC W50 which gave me some stunning shots and eight years of reliable service and my old film SLR. It's perhaps a bit heavy but it does feel sturdy and it's very easy to use. It doesn't have gps or wifi to waste the battery power but I would recommend you buy a spare battery if you are going to take a lot of photos (like I do).

As good as a Canon digital SLR in my opinion! Very highly recommended!
on 28 September 2013
A brilliant camera. Almost all the controls that are on a SLR, a huge zoom and all in a size that fits in your hand.
Taken quite a few pictures mostly in auto mode and they are all really clear and with good colour.
I had fallen and broken my Canon Powershot 120 and most of the controls are the same but it seems a much better camera although I was pleased with the earlier one.
on 1 May 2014
This camera is pretty fast, and allows us to get shots of the kids. Do get the biggest memory card you can for it. It can also take fairly high quality video too. I am pleased with the picture and lens quality and have not had any trouble with it.
on 20 November 2014
Excellent bit of kit and robust
on 30 November 2013
I just got this camera, I took 18 pictures with flash plus 7 without it and 20 seconds clip with the highest quality and then battery was dead!!! I bought 8GB SD card and I think I will never gonna have any problem with capacity of memory card because the camera won't be alive till that moment!
on 26 December 2013
Our 8 year old was treated to this and finds it easy to use. Nice shots too. Would recommend. Compact.
on 23 June 2012
I upgraded to this camera from a Casio Z2000, the difference has been massive except for one thing which I will touch on later.

I was originally was going to get the new 2012 Panasonic TZ25 or 30, but reviews showed that Canons smaller pixel sensor and processor is much better than Panasonics which seems to have a yellow tinge to photos.

While I was originally worried about complaints that the 240sx has slow focus in dark conditions compared to the Panasonics, this turned out to be much of a non problem at all after using my camera to take full length 20x shots of the Jay-Z and Kanye West concert at the O2 arena, as images came out very sharp in which my other camera would fail at.

I would recommend anyone that buys this camera should use it only in P mode. Auto has a habit of choosing the wrong settings, if you are not that technical, the little bit of learning will greatly help you in the long term.

In Peru, the 20x was exactly what I needed, so I'm glad I didn't go for the TZ25, because there was some sights that needs a 20x to be served justice.

The only bad thing about this camera is battery life if you use a lot of Flash or video.

In Peru, I took 1700 photos in 13 days and even though I charged my battery everyday, I never ran out of battery during my day of photo shots, since i didnt have to use flash and I took videos once a few days.

I sadly managed to drop my camera 10ft in the ruins of Piquillacta, near Cusco, and my camera amazingly survived with a tiny scratch to the bottom of it! it was only then I noticed the new Canon compacts are made in Japan! it shows!

But I still highly recommend you buy a second battery it is a must for dark shooting where flash is necessary!

WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND!:)

November 2012 update:

I recently went to Iceland in October, where I put the camera through some cold temperatures, including being used on top of a glacier on a snowmobile!(I added a photo in the user pic gallery).

I was pretty happy with the photo's that came out, especially in the strong sunlight I experienced which surprisingly did not effect the photos or make the camera malfunction!

It's definitely proving to be a travel camera that Canon says it is.
review image review image review image
22 Comments| 244 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse