on 15 September 2013
Bought this recently ahead of a long weekend away playing golf in Scotland. Excellent piece of kit - only slight gripe was it sometimes took a while to pick up the GPS signal at the courses we were playing but once it had, was accurate and by far and away the best device we had amongst us - and that included a Garmin GPS watch and a Nikon laser rangefinder. Holder kept it nice and secure on my bag and managed to get 3 full rounds out of it before having the recharge it - in fairness though, that was my fault for not doing it sooner and it died as I had a 120 yard approach onto the 18th green so wasn't really going to argue ! All in all would recommend this - would have given it 5 stars if not for how quickly it picked up the GPS signal but that is being a little picky.
on 4 November 2012
I bought this as a present for my wife who was always asking me the distance from her ball to the pin. Its certainly compact and to be honest this is its major weakness. If you have perfect 20/20 vision then its great. However, for us mortals its small size does make reading from the trolley almost impossible. It does what it claims although it did not have a pond hazard on my course. Garmin say they will correct it next January.
Its multitude of features may be excessive for most of us who only want to be aware of distance to a hazard and to the pin. Rather like the latest mobile phones, its a great toy for adults.
on 8 October 2013
Bought as a 60th Birthday present for a pal. He wanted Gps rather than lazer. This does everything you need from a GPS system and more without extra charges, subscriptions etc. Handy size, easy to use, no batteries. He's delighted and so are we who bought it.
on 24 August 2014
I had tried another make of GPS, but could not see the image in sunshine. I live in Cyprus where the the sun is very strong most of the year. The G6 is actually easier to see in sunlight. It is quite small and light, With the supplied clip, you can hang it on your belt and glance at it as required. It switches to the next hole as you approach the next tee, and shows all the bunkers etc and layup distances. You can check the layup distances as you progress the fairway by touching the screen. It has all the courses in Cyprus already loaded, and is really useful on courses that you don't play regularly.
on 1 August 2014
I owned a UPro from Callaway before this, and the transition was awesome. The Callaway needed course downloads - they were free, but the process was laborious and never certain. The Garmin just starts and the course is there (occasional USB connections to your pc and it all updates, like magic!) The Callaway screen was nearly unreadable at times - this is bigger and very clear. The Callaway was not waterproof (not as if it rains on golf courses!) - this just plows on in the downpours, but you do have to wipe the screen to read it sometimes :-)

There are the inevitable "extra apps" added on to give the Marketing people something to write about - club distances, round history and the like. Basically for most users, you switch it on and go - job done. It says "handheld", but I just stick in the cradle, connect via USB (Motacaddy!) and never think of recharging it.

The Garmin is not a cheap option, but it does the job, without a fuss.

As an aside: Shame on you Callaway for producing such a piece of junk, and then, just this week, abandoning your customers!
on 2 November 2012
Found the menu and layout very acceptable but surprised/disappointed that my home course had not been updated (revised nearly a year ago) and that when checking with Garmin support was not given any clear date for update only a generic " we update quarterly". Need to improve responses.
on 3 April 2013
From quite early on this device did not keep it's charge for a complete round. I returned it but it did not improve significantly and on the last round it spontaneously rebooted and lost my scores on the 15th hole! It is a shame as the features are very good, especially the green view and shot measurement. However it is too unreliable and I am going to look for an alternative - with good support.
on 22 September 2013
Gives you distances to water & bunkers as well as front, middle & back of green. No subscription. Rechargeable. Even with a higher handicap I find its great.
on 14 May 2013
I am extremely please with the Garmin Approach G6 Handheld Golf GPS. I have been using it for approximately 2 weeks now and have quickly "mastered" the key opperations, yesterday was the first time using it on an away course and proved so useful showing all distances, hazards etc., on each hole. I don't think it has yet improved my golf but has taken the guess work out of it. The facility for measuring the average distance for any club is very useful. I have found that a full battery charge lasts for 3 full 18 hole rounds.
on 3 November 2014
I wanted to replace a Skycaddie which needed a new battery, was misting up in the rain and for which I needed to renew my subscription. Furthermore, the Skycaddie software (when linked to the PC) had always been troublesome from the day I bought the device. I looked at several devices and spoke to friends who had different devices before deciding on the G6 which seemed to have all the functionality I needed at a reasonable price. I especially needed the worldwide range of courses, not just Europe.
I've been using it now for about a month. Out of the box, it took a long time to pick up satellites, so long that I phoned Garmin who said that was normal. Several hours seems odd but it works now although it always says "No GPS" when I select "Play". At a course it still brings up surrounding courses with the course the first tee of which I'm standing on not necessarily being the first. It switched from Banchory, Scotland to Brisbane, Australia without any problems other than those mentioned above. The screen is small but adequate.
I like the scoring, layup, distance measuring and the average distance per club features. The screen is readable in bright sunlight. Sometimes, you enter the score for the wrong hole because the device has moved on after you've left the green but it's easy to go back and forth between holes.
It easily does two rounds with days between them but I haven't tried it on three rounds in, say, a week.
I haven't yet used any of the on-line features.
All in all I'm satisfied.