on 22 May 2013
I have been quite hesitant to buy this camera due to mixed reviews.
On one hand I would love to have a smaller camera by my side while wandering the London streets. But coming from the long years of film photography (still shooting it with Pentax Z1p) I wouldn't sacrifice the image quality for the smaller factor. Adding to that the fact that I have plenty of excellent Pentax lenses - the K-01 was a perfect match for me with APS-C sensor of well regarded K5 and ability to take *ANY* lens that Pentax has ever made. And bearing in mind that I REALLY want is a serious full frame camera from Pentax, hence not willing to buy K5IIs which is wonderful but still APS-C camera I finally decided to go with K-01 for now, hoping that Pentax will release a FF camera one day. And if they not ? Well - I will still be better off having my film cameras glassed up PLUS having excellent lenses at hand to turn my innocent K-01 into an ultimate shooting monster :P

The camera arrived on next day from Amazon. I was slightly concerned by the fact that the box was previously opened - the camera wasn't actually used - I ignored the glitch.
It takes some research and getting used to, but slowly I can say that this is a fantastic piece of equipment at a giving away price which will definitely serve the purpose of walk around, advanced (a little bulky though - I do admit that) compact camera with an excellent image quality and ability to justify my Lens' Buying Addiction.

EDIT: After some months of using it camera still impresses with elegant design, general robustness and excellent quality photos it delivers.. Now I am worried that one day it will die and there is no K-02 planned for the time being.. Pentax / Ricoh should continue the line of K-mount mirrorless cameras imho !

Regards
5 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 17 June 2013
Bought for £299, this is an excelent camera for the money. For me its not as comfortable to hold as an SLR and I miss the viewfinder. However the image quality is amazing. I had a Pentak K-7 and the improvment in image quality and low light performance quickly promoted this to the camera of choice.

The Pancake lens is excelent, and quick to focus. Its boxy shape, is perfect for positioning for self protraits/group shots when you dont have a tripod avaliable.

The LCD can be difficult to see in bright daylight and it lacks the speed and handeling charcteristics of an SLR. Its also quite large, certainly not a pocket camera. But overall it is an excelent camera. If you generally shoot using live view, I would strongly recomend it.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 26 December 2013
This camera is a revelation. Wherever it goes people ask "What is it?" and inevitably, "Where's the viewfinder?". All I can say is if you can forgive the K-01 for its size and the need to use the screen, you'll be blown away by the control you have over picture taking. It handles well an all the controls have a quality, precise feel about them, despite it being somewhat heavier than the alternative mirrorless system cameras available today.

Leave it in "Auto" and 99.9% of the time the camera will deliver pin-sharp, well-exposed and deeply saturated shots. Start to use all the features and options and this camera will give you spectacular creative control. Using the screen and focus-peaking for close-up and macro, it's possible to make precise focusing decisions. Team it up with the Pentax 35mm f2.4 and the camera becomes a great street-shooter. I've added a strong wrist strap to allow me to carry the camera ready for use at all times.

The battery life is good (easily enough for 300+ shots) and the 18-55mm kit lens is a solid all-rounder. The real joy is the ability to use all my old K-mount lenses as well as M42 screw lenses with an adapter.

The Amazon price of £280 (at the time I bought it) was a steal. Embrace the difference, buy one.
One person found this helpful
on 18 June 2014
What a bargain (after it halved in price). The IQ is wonderful, the feature set is wonderful for the price and it looks nuts. I would have preferred the yellow model but i went for classic aluminium and saved £150, which will be used for a Sony A58 when the price drops. One negative, the autufocus is very very noisy on the kit lens so if you need quiet put on an old Takumar or Helios and away you go.
on 22 May 2017
Has enabled me to use my K mount lenses on a well made mirror less body
on 9 January 2013
Takes perfectly good pictures most of the time. Wish I'd bought the lens with it as the Pentax lenses I have for another Pentax DSLR seem a bit sticky when auto-focusing in low light. Still mastering the technique of viewing through the screen esp in bright conditions.
on 30 May 2013
Reasons to choose it:
- excellent image quality
- good pancake lens
- k-mount camera
- focus peaking (makes manually focusing easily)
- long battery life
- very well built body
- nice design
on 12 December 2013
This was the reason I held on to the lenses from my Pentax MZ50 film camera. I'm so pleased with this camera, and the quality of the images it produces.
on 13 December 2012
Excellent product, very nicely made, produces excellent quality photographs however I think best used in one of the manual mode settings, Amazon provided a fast efficient service.
3 people found this helpful
on 17 June 2013
Superb quality. Great image quality and solid body. Why buy a canon or a nikon if you can heve better? PENTAX is and will be the Winner!
3 people found this helpful