Customer reviews

Pioneer SE-MJ751 Fully Enclosed Bass Head Headphones

on 5 December 2012
The best, the greatest blah blah. In terms of music there is no such thing. No two people will enjoy the same music nor sound and what reproduces said sound. To this end such reviews are always subjective and my review is no exception.
I have been using Sennheiser head phones for 40 years and find some in their range are spot on 'for me'. An example of this are the PX100-11, I find them, for £45.00, just stunning. Are these Pioneer 'better', well no, they are 'different' though and I like the difference.
Wearing the PX100's is a joy one doesnt know they are there, the MJ751 are heavy and at present, being new, very tight and bulky. Now this one aspect does matter as regardless to the quality of sound reproduction if they are uncomfortable then its all academic as I wont use them. I am going to give them time to 'run in' both in terms of sound and comfort and then write again.
So far after doing comparison tests I have to say the Pioneer do please. They produce a very clear detailed sound yet not clod or over bright also not over heavy on the base. Midrange is also clear and tight. At no time do these phones run wild, they appear in control, well engineered and produce a pleasing sound. I should also add I paid £58.00 for mine not the price advertised here. My comments reflect the price range of £58.00.
Please do note that all such things will come down to taste. No one should ever write this or that is the best as its all about what we, the individual enjoy. I have never had any luck with Beyer yet they are a very well respected brand.
I gues the real test of such phones is will the owner desire to use them without hesitation as I do with the PX100-11's? Time will tell. So far I am impressed, thats not an easy task for me with Hi-Fi.

I endorse the review below this one.

Update. I hope the situation improves as wearing these head phones for little more than an hour makes my ears sore. Have had several attempts to use them but each time I have to remove them as they are so very uncomfortable. Tight as hell, pressing onto the ears to the point of pain!

Update 09 12 12. Far to tight on the ears. I have no idea how I can listen to music while in pain and I mean pain. These headphones bite into my ears and are so uncomfortable to render them useless to me. They are a quality product with a pleasing sound. They just don't fit my head and ears. Purchase with caution. I did persevere with these phones as I like the sound. Not for me so will pass them onto family to see if they may be enjoyed there?

Update 21 03 13. Sad to report that no one in my family can use these head phones. All complain of ear pain. Pointless purchase. Such a missed opportunity on the part of Pioneer. I cannot recommend this product.
22 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 April 2017
Good quality headphone, compare to other headphones it is much better quality with this range of price. In my opinion, it is better than Beats
on 20 April 2014
i know i may seem a bit stupid but i never thought the white would get so dirty so quickly. the day i got it it started to get a bit dirty and imagine having that for how many months, what that would look like. also after a minutes the headphones started to hurt my ears. the sound is good it was a bit clear and a bit disorientated. the bass was alright. now the turn thing for the bass was good it went down low to the point there was no bass at all so overall that was good. the earrjack thing got dirty within a few mintues of using it its seems tangle free.so overall i wouldnt really recommend this product as it wasnt really usable as it hurt and could get dirty
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 September 2012
After purchasing numerous pairs of headphones, I have finally found the sound for me if, I compare these to my beats detox, they have the same (more controlled) bass the crisp highs but they also include the midrange in much higher detail, but cost x4 less.

Audio. These sound very good, the bass does not boom, it will just hit with a very clean solid bass. The bass adjustment dial works well and allows you to quickly adjust the bass it adjusts more the low mid rather than the real low level which I find great a nice feature which works really well at first I thought to be a bit of a gimick. The highs are also very good. Maintains a nice sound no matter what's going on with the bass. The mids are good and very clear and handle vocals a lot better than some headphones which are just highs and lows. Overall amazing sound that can be easily adjusted to match many genres of music.

Style is great but always personal preference they come in two styles not sure which I really prefer the UK Pioneer branding and the Steez branding on the US version (US version also have an apple control talk cable unlike the UK. The gloss finish is a nice touch. They are Fashion headphones, but they keep the sound expertise of Pioneer I would wear they no matter what as the sound quality to me is just spot on.

Build quality: It's an all plastic headphone. It feels sturdy and the plastic makes no creaking noises unlike my monster inspiration which make a clunking noise every time you move your head they also keep out wind noise better than any headphone I have had so far. The detachable cable is a great feature to have, easily replace the cable if it breaks.

Fit: These are snug. Good and bad there. It's not gonna slide on your head at all, but it will take a toll on your ears. After listening for an hour it can get a little uncomfortable but as time goes on they do stretch, these need to be broken in before they get truly comfortable and now I can listen to them for 4 hours straight with the odd little adjustment here and there, also they isolate sound well and do not leak as much as some.

Portability: They do not fold up which is not a deal breaker these fit in my bag well enough and are so light. They fit round the neck ok but can be annoying but I've only got a short neck! it would have been nice if they were more compact and came in a pouch or case.

Over all I have the solo hd's, Beats Pro Detox, SMS SYNC by 50, audio technica ATHM50s JVC HAMX40 and AKG K450 now made redundant all of which are great headphones, but the pioneers just outperform for me to justify using anything else. They would probably be reviewed and compared in the sub £100 category but outperform some £300 headphones.

Top headphones I would recommend
Monster inspiration over ear £250
Pioneer MJ751 on ear £80
AKG k450 on ear £50
on 8 January 2016
They were ok but didn't last my son very long, bought beats now and they are a different league
on 17 June 2015
I have had these for over a year now, they are durable and comfortable even after a few hours. I don't tend to play with the bass control however it is a nice feature. Audio quality is good and matches some £100 headphones, for the price definitely worth it
on 6 December 2014
As good as if not better in my opinion than headphones costing a great deal more. As with all Pioneer products they are excellent quality & the Bass Boost feature is not a gimmick & works well. Very comfortable with easy hidden size adjustment & they look good with a replaceable single connection cord which is a very uncommon feature in even expensive headphones. Would highly recommend to any audiophile looking for a quality headphone with an affordable price tag.
on 6 July 2014
I've had a good chance to try these out, and over-all think these are fantastic - a great buy of you like the emphasis on bass. I do agree with the comments of other users in that they do pinch your ears rather painfully, especially at first. However once you've given them a chance to wear-in, you'll find these a very nice set of headphones indeed.
on 25 December 2014
Bass on this thing is incredible. Better than beats by dre at half the price.
on 27 December 2014
I received these as a Christmas present ( 2014 ) they are un-wearable, they are tight and extremely uncomfortable and hurt my ears. I'm returning them and will shop for other more suitable headphones.

The only good point I have about them is that the sound is very good, heavy bass. The bass is adjustable too.

See one answered question