on 1 March 2017
This was purchased because the older version was wearing out from use. This newer version of the Oxford Dictionary has an added encyclopaedia.
The dictionary function is identical to the older version. On the whole this electronic dictionary is only worth three stars because firstly a word cannot be entered into the search field as quickly as the older version. If the word is entered too quickly, it loses the first one or two letters, then the entire word has to be re-entered, this is time consuming and annoying. This was not the case with the older version, it would retain all the letters immediately. Secondly, the older version would remember each word search automatically so that one could scroll down and review all the word searches. the newer version requires the ' bs' key and then 'learn' keys to be pressed before the word is retained in the 'learn' list. This is also a waste of time. If you have not had an electronic dictionary before, you may not find these things annoying, but they spoil the enjoyment of this instrument for me. The encyclopaedia is very basic and does not have any of the subjects that I have entered in a search.
on 23 April 2015
Re. My newly acquired Seiko ER6700 Wordfinder.
I am very disappointed with this device. My old Seiko Model ER 6100 of 12 years gave excellent service, the ER6700 is only about 40% functional, a most unimpressive machine.
The “Dictionary”, “Thesaurus”, and “Encyclopaedia” functions cannot be relied on to produce the correct word e.g. I typed in the word Guggenheim in the “Encyclopaedia” and it insisted on Guidedogs!!! This is but one of the many examples. There is less than a 40% chance of having the word I entered interpreted correctly.
Furthermore, what ever happened to the “Clear” button? A function universally used on calculators, cell phones, computational devices etc. Instead we have to use 2 key-functions to reset to normal.
Are you sure this product was designed and built by Seiko or are they manufacturing under license? It is inconceivable that it was designed and built by the team that produced the ER6100!
Yours sincerely
Trevor Tee
11 Comment| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 January 2017
It's overpriced for the performance compared to the previous model. Also it has a fault, when entering in a word it misses the first letter about 50% of each time. Tried to find Amazons warranty email contact but it does NOT exist, there is no email contact to Amazon of any description which gives me concern about any future electronic purchase.
22 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 August 2017
If you are looking to replace your trusty ER6100, this model offers the same resources and more.
Welcome features,
one easy to fit AAA battery instead of two CR2032s needing an instrument screwdriver.
Unit rests at an incline on a flat surface,
Numerals on keys are easier to read.
Increased key size suits banana fingers!

But it does have some irritating features.
At the entry point of DICT or THES the display is cluttered with HEADWORD and EXPLANATION, or HEADWORD and WORDFINDER, that actually delays entry of text resulting sometimes in the first or more characters being omitted.
We do not need to see this, we know what we are doing.
Or perhaps this is for the benefit of those whose second language is English.
Another irritation is highlighting words with a black band when scrolling a list. An underline as before made words much clearer to read.
Also, if a DICT /THES word is misspelled, there is no warning message, 'No Matches in Dictionary' (alerting a misspelling). It just follows with predictive answers that can be completely irrelevant.
Having begun using this model (alongside a workable ER6100), I am discovering the DICT is missing some definitions previously found in the ER6100.
For example, 6700 THES of Skin includes in 3/6, the words Hide and Pelt. These words in DICT/THES do not include an animals skin, hide or fleece (as they are in 6100).
Founder in DICT/THES does not include (of a ship) fill with water and sink.
Butt in DICT gives two definitions instead of four.
So, what other DICT words are missing?
My increasing opinion is the developers of the satisfying gold standard ER6100 have meddled with the software, provided a new casing and following Hutber's Law, produced a new model.
If the ER6700 had a hinged protective cover and tasteful styling like the ER6100, it would stand out as a 'top of the range' model, in my opinion.
Lastly, I would willingly pay double the price for another ER6100, despite the probability of the display deteriorating after some time.

Since buying the ER6700 four weeks ago I have ordered another one. For me it is invaluable regardless of the shortcomings.
on 8 January 2017
Purchased this as a replacement to my very old Sharp PW-E500A electronic dictionary/thesaurus - and I'm sorry to say that I wasted my money. It simply doesn't recognise many of the words used in crosswords, the encyclopedia has limited scope in terms of subject matter and, likewise, the Thesaurus function is basic.To be fair, it did not cost as much as the Sharp (which seems to be no longer available) and may even be useful for basic school work, but you could find yourself becoming very frustrated if your expecting more and end up going on-line for answers.
on 1 May 2013
Perfect for daily use, for finding all information you will ever need.
Perfect for students and retired people alike,
Conveniently pocket sized.
on 19 January 2018
Already owning a Seiko ER8000 for indoors(which is the best I've owned so far except for the encyclopedia being slightly Americancentric)I decided to get the Seiko ER6700 for my garage office.For the lower price of this model in comparison I was prepared to accept some shortcomings but was very pleased with it until this week(two years eleven months later)when it has stopped working-hence the three stars,otherwise it would have been four stars.
on 19 April 2016
I use this every day I just cannot seem to put in down since I bought it. I think this is a great gadget its got everything on it that you need. Now I can finish all my crosswords (yes I know that is cheating but I learn more and more words each day and the meanings)I think the crossword solver is fantastic and I also like playing the games. There is so much to look up on this little machine and it is so fast in bringing up words and answers. Really pleased with this purchase. It was packed very well and received it a lot earlier than expected.
on 5 June 2017
Waste of money, 20% chance of anything you want being found in the Thesaurus section or the dictionary. Whoever put it together obviously had the smallest dictionary etc available. Useless.
on 9 May 2017
my problem is that the one I had before was more straight forward, so, I am taking longer to check on things.and I am not a person with time to spare.