on 23 April 2015
Re. My newly acquired Seiko ER6700 Wordfinder.
I am very disappointed with this device. My old Seiko Model ER 6100 of 12 years gave excellent service, the ER6700 is only about 40% functional, a most unimpressive machine.
The “Dictionary”, “Thesaurus”, and “Encyclopaedia” functions cannot be relied on to produce the correct word e.g. I typed in the word Guggenheim in the “Encyclopaedia” and it insisted on Guidedogs!!! This is but one of the many examples. There is less than a 40% chance of having the word I entered interpreted correctly.
Furthermore, what ever happened to the “Clear” button? A function universally used on calculators, cell phones, computational devices etc. Instead we have to use 2 key-functions to reset to normal.
Are you sure this product was designed and built by Seiko or are they manufacturing under license? It is inconceivable that it was designed and built by the team that produced the ER6100!
Yours sincerely
Trevor Tee
on 25 December 2016
Somewhat disappointed. My previous Collins device died after years of excellent service, so I threw it away expecting to be able to get something even better. Having scoured the blurb on almost all the machines presently on offer, and having purchased and returned two of them (Seiko ER3700 & Franklin DMQ221 for not doing what I expected) I thought the Seiko 6700 would meet my needs. But it is impossible to call up lists of subjects such as authors or artists and the choice of themes now offered in not much help. It is also a pest to have to use two buttons to clear the screen.

But from what I read of other people's experiences, I don't think there is anything for it but to nurse my wallet and stick with what I have - feeble though it is! After my recent experiences I don't intend to try the even more expensive Seiko ER8100, for despite its various reviews I suspect it will not do what I want - although I would welcome any specific comment on its ability to generate lists by topic.
on 19 January 2017
This ER6700 was the only affordable option available to replace my much loved ER6100. It is ok but I miss the superior screen contrast and nice slim case with lid of the ER6100 . I don't understand the logic of producing a pocket/handbag sized product without a lid which means you can't actually carry it in your pocket or handbag, whilst the much larger ER8100 desk top size does have a lid? Makes no sense to me. I hate the new AAA battery housing it makes it too bulky. What was wrong with the CR2032 button batteries?
This was the only small Seiko model I could find that had the dictionary function (quite a basic requirement for an electronic dictionary you would think?) everything else was only a crossword solver that are not worth wasting your money on.
£45/£50 is far too expensive for this model especially as I will have to buy a case to keep it in to make it portable by protecting the screen and to stop it being switched on by accident !!!
Not your best move Seiko.... The ER6100 was a far better product at a much better price and if I could find a ER6100 i'd trade it for my new ER6700 in a heartbeat
on 1 March 2017
This was purchased because the older version was wearing out from use. This newer version of the Oxford Dictionary has an added encyclopaedia.
The dictionary function is identical to the older version. On the whole this electronic dictionary is only worth three stars because firstly a word cannot be entered into the search field as quickly as the older version. If the word is entered too quickly, it loses the first one or two letters, then the entire word has to be re-entered, this is time consuming and annoying. This was not the case with the older version, it would retain all the letters immediately. Secondly, the older version would remember each word search automatically so that one could scroll down and review all the word searches. the newer version requires the ' bs' key and then 'learn' keys to be pressed before the word is retained in the 'learn' list. This is also a waste of time. If you have not had an electronic dictionary before, you may not find these things annoying, but they spoil the enjoyment of this instrument for me. The encyclopaedia is very basic and does not have any of the subjects that I have entered in a search.
on 8 January 2017
Purchased this as a replacement to my very old Sharp PW-E500A electronic dictionary/thesaurus - and I'm sorry to say that I wasted my money. It simply doesn't recognise many of the words used in crosswords, the encyclopedia has limited scope in terms of subject matter and, likewise, the Thesaurus function is basic.To be fair, it did not cost as much as the Sharp (which seems to be no longer available) and may even be useful for basic school work, but you could find yourself becoming very frustrated if your expecting more and end up going on-line for answers.
on 24 January 2017
It's overpriced for the performance compared to the previous model. Also it has a fault, when entering in a word it misses the first letter about 50% of each time. Tried to find Amazons warranty email contact but it does NOT exist, there is no email contact to Amazon of any description which gives me concern about any future electronic purchase.
on 16 December 2013
I originally purchased an ER3700 which I found lacked a dictionary and was very very slow. This is much better and worth the extra money. Extremely fast and I wouldn't be without it.
on 24 April 2017
seiko 6700 was the nearest i could get to er9000 which you claim to be unavailable/
it turned out to be a very poor replacement.
Screen too small therefore constant screen changes.
Much of the lettering represented by dots which may be alright for young eyes. Mine are 88years old.
I am happy with the comtent but very slow at reading it.
on 5 June 2017
Waste of money, 20% chance of anything you want being found in the Thesaurus section or the dictionary. Whoever put it together obviously had the smallest dictionary etc available. Useless.
on 9 May 2017
my problem is that the one I had before was more straight forward, so, I am taking longer to check on things.and I am not a person with time to spare.