on 5 November 2016
I feel compelled to write a poor review on these drives as they seem to be designed to fail.
I purchased 4 of these over a 5 month period to fill my new nas box.

2years to the day later after installation ALL 4 of these drives dies one by one, luckily i had some good WD reds to replace them. I only lost a bit of data because 2 of them failed on the same day - funny they are the two that were purchased at the same time and installed the same time.

I used the be a big seagate user back in the day when the offered 5 year warranty as standard, i still have a few 300gb maxtors and seagates working but now they fail very young and not worth the agro or potential loss in data.
on 8 August 2012
So far I have brought 6 discs at 3TB each. 4 of them are for my NAS drive, a QNAP TS-412 and they just fitted in and worked, it really was that easy. I've had these for about a month now with no problems at all.

Apart from the 4 drives for my NAS drive, I bought one extra to act as a spare in case I ever get a failure on my QNAP system.

The 6th drive I put into an enclosure with USB 3.0 support to make an external disc drive. I have tested this to look for the read speed from the disc to my Windows 7 and I get an average read speed of 132 MBytes per second over a 5 minute period. This is very impressive indeed. You do need USB 3.0 support though, when I connect this via a USB 2.0 port the speed goes down to about 34 MBytes per second.

As per other comments about this drive, you do need to take care that whatever you connect it to supports 3TB discs. New machines with Windows 7 should not have any problem.
on 15 September 2016
Been using this drive in my NAS for several months with no issues. You definitely get what you pay for in this product.
on 5 July 2012
Recently built a new PC and delayed buying a hard drive due to the high prices. Finally found this drive on Amazon at £120 for 3TB, which is roughly the same price as last I bought a drive a couple years ago (£40 for 1TB).

Delivery was quick (Prime) and had absolutely no problems plugging the drive in. It was immediately noticed by Ubuntu. Formatting it was a breeze, and I have had no problems with it what so ever.

Ubuntu reports the drive as having 2.8TB rather than 3.0TB.

The drive is very quiet and cannot complain about access speeds.
on 20 August 2013
hard drive easy enough to install, the most basic thing to remember is that all hard drives over 2.2tb have to be formatted using GPT and not MBR which is the default,otherwise if you use MBR then you are left with a partition you can do nothing with & wasted space.
The drive was a bit noisy to start with, but after the first day seems to be very quiet, so everything okay so far but will update if there are any problems in the future
on 28 November 2015
In all my years I have never had any trouble with Seagate drives, and I go back to ATARI and BBC computers, worked first time and to quote a well known phrase "It does exactly what it says on the tin", keep it up Seagate
on 1 March 2017
DO NOT BUY.

I have owned this drive for less than 3 months and it has died. On Seagates website they claims this drive is out of warranty and it is rather annoying i have lost all the data on this drive.

Good Speeds and good size but dieing after 3 months is not acceptable.
on 11 February 2016
The disk, when it works, is fine. Reliability is not great. I had one disk failing with beyond acceptable number of bad sectors in less than 2 years usage. I bought a replacement which very soon had a lot of bad sectors too. The supplier replaced it and so far it works fine.
on 26 July 2015
This drive is fast and quiet. However my drive failed after 20 months of relatively light use. Whilst electronics fail, you usually expect them to fail almost immediately, or otherwise after a longer period of time. 20 Months simply isn't good enough. I know I have had only one sample to go by (which is why it gets 2 stars, not 1), but given my experience I am not willing to risk buying a replacement, especially as it only comes with a 12 month guarantee.
on 23 January 2015
Great Product, Silent and fast. Actual size 2.7TB. If your mainboard does not support 2TB + as a standard you will have to download a free software to change the settings. All details I found online and it took me 5 minutes max to be able to use it.