Customer reviews

on 26 September 2012
Having enjoyed the first episode of the tv adaptation of Parade's End, and having recently finished reading 'The Good Soldier' by Ford Madox Ford, I immediately downloaded the Kindle version of this book.

I read it and the three following volumes avidly. How can a book which takes pages to move on a few minutes in time when nothing much happens be so gripping? It must be the quality of the writing, the development of the characters and the sense of place and time the author conveys. If you value these in a book, then you will be rewarded. If you want a fast moving, action packed story then don't bother.
2 people found this helpful
on 8 March 2017
It says a lot for Ford Madox Ford’s ability to expand the significance of a character by thoughtfully providing a social and historical context that Christopher Tietjens is indisputably the hero of “Some Do not” (1924). In retrospect, this is so from the moment we meet him on the branch-line to Rye. And, yet, Tietjens is variously described as a mad bullock, a dying bulldog, a hog, someone with lobster eyes, and even “odious” by the woman who comes to love him. He rescues suffragists, without agreeing with their cause; is almost unbearably honourable, "a regular Dreyfus", according to one appalling character, the General, who adds “there, there, my dear boy. Come and have a sloe gin. That's the real answer to all beastly problems." Tietjens never reads a novel but can quote from any work of literature. Politically, his one-nation Toryism agrees with the far Left over a minimum wage and assuming the power to enforce it. And he is "the last decent man in England": "I stand for monogamy ... and chastity. And for not talking about it."

One interest in "Some Do Not" is discerning how many of the values of this unusual hero, Ford shares. Tietjens (and Ford?) trades in national stereotypes, following some of his worst with the observation that, with such characteristics, the French, Italian, Prussian, and American could never fathom the off-break. What saves Tietjens, not so much from readers (or at least me because, to my surprise, I am on his side from the outset), but from madness, is the horror of the coming 1914 War. "One has to clear up. I'm going out", he says in his buttoned-up voice. Possibly because he is above entitlement, when nearly all of the characters around him expect it, his qualities and his unwavering commitment to rights and duties endure, and to a greater extent than his predecessor in Ford’s work: Edward Ashburnham, the hero of “The Good Soldier” (1915), a novel that is usually more acclaimed but that I like less than “Some Do Not”. By way of a disagreement with most commentators, particularly Graham Greene, I had lots of sympathy with Sylvia Tietjens -- even as I admired Valentine Wannop’s very different views -- not least because Christopher Tietjens is, at once, wonderful and awful, and living with him would be impossible.

I look forward to reading the remaining three novels in the “Parades End” series, including “Last Post” (1928), so disliked by Graham Greene, who, in some respects, is quite influenced by Ford. For the most direct influence, though minus most of the subtleties, one would probably turn to John Le Carré’s Smiley Trilogy, and especially the middle novel, “The Honourable Schoolboy” and its titular hero.
on 27 May 2013
I love reading about this time in our history and I enjoy Victorian style literature but I found this extremely hard going. I managed to get through about a third af the book before I gave up, something I very rarely do. May be I will try again when I retire - but for now I am nothing but disappointed.
on 14 November 2011
The voice takes some getting used to but if you're patient you'll be rewarded. Ford Madox Ford and his chum Joseph Conrad embraced the fact that life isn't a straight line; we blunder round in a maze. So it's a complex novel, slipping from past to present without much warning and building character with subtle brushstrokes. There are no heroes and villains - we're all both - but there is love and wit and truth. I'll certainly tackle the next three in the sequence. Meanhwile Tom Stoppard, brave man, is apparently adapting it for the screen.
9 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 25 February 2012
Somehow without any of the characters being particularly attractive on first glimpse - some of them appear actually repellent - and with a continual, almost unconscious commentary by each character on class, this book is a compelling read. The flashbacks are very skilfully handled and by about a quarter of the way in, I felt I was in the hands of a master.

I agree with the other reviewer, Tom Stoppard is a very brave man indeed. The first book is maybe 80% percent dialogue and thought process so it is going to be one hell of a job if he pulls off a script that can be produced with enough movement/action for television. However if anyone can do it, he can. It could certainly be a hell of a theatre piece.

I've just downloaded the next two parts as I must read on.
9 people found this helpful