on 2 April 2012
I wanted a charger that was as good as the Apple one for my iPad and can also charge 2 devices when needed. This device fits this need perfectly. I particularly like the fact that when both ports are in use the power is not simply split equally across the two ports as is the norm I have seen in the past on other chargers so I can charge both an iPad and an iPhone simultaneously at sensible rates.
VINE VOICEon 5 September 2013
We have used this item to charge multiple items including an iPhone, BlackBerry curve, galaxy s3 and s3 mini's all have worked fine.

It will also charge a nexus 7 tablet the only issue we have had is with USB cables not all are the same and some work and some don't.

Really like that when 4 items are charging it doesn't get hot and it appears to spread the amps depending on the number of devices.

Overall excellent for anything that needs a USB charger
on 4 September 2012
Unlike so many cheap adapters this works well for my ipad and other gadgets and had not failed yet; I have bought another one.
on 10 June 2013
I have been charging iPad2, iPhone4, iPhone4S, and a battery pack at the same time with this charger, and everything got charged. I use it at home, but also brings it along on vacations. I bought a second one as a present for a vacation home. And I am thinking about bying another one for my office.
on 25 June 2013
At last I don't have to take 4 different chargers away with me. Very well made and the indicators allow the user to see the status of charge on any of the 4 connected devices at a glance. In fact it's so good I use it at home and put the others chargers away.

Would have given it 5 stars if the GB 3-pin plug was removable and you could slide on EU/USA/OZ adapters.
on 3 June 2012
I bought this to power my Raspberry Pi computer impressed by its claimed max output of 2.1 Amps, it looks the business as well and I happily charged my Galaxy S2 using it until my Pi arrived. Imagine my discomfort then when the Pi showed all the signs of an inadequate power supply. Testing as described here [....] (trying both outputs in case of mis-labelling) confirmed that it wasn't delivering anything like the power claimed. This was compounded by the fact that an el-cheapo charger of the kind given away free with batteries only rated at 800mA for USB outperformed it as did the Samsung Galaxy S2 charger only rated at 700 mAh. Interestingly my Garmin Forerunner USB charger rated at 1 amp performed pretty much the same as the Portapow.
Sorry for the over-technical post but I see so many one-star reviews by people with an obvious agenda or who are talking nonsense, this device will be fine for charging phone/tablet batteries but doesn't appear to deliver the output quoted in real-world situations. Maybe there is a subtle difference between "chargers" and "power supplies" and this is the issue here.

Update 20/06/2012
The seller contacted me and explained that for the unit to supply the full current a different type of cable is required, when I use this, the Portapow does power the Raspberry Pi perfectly OK although the voltmeter tests described on the Raspberry Pi Wiki still rate it as marginal. I suspect that the voltage tests make the assumption that the current delivered on demand is a function of voltage drop (I don't know enough physics) but this doesn't seem to be the case with the Portapow in this particular application.
44 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 December 2012
This is a great product. It can output a high current for power hungry devices, or share that power across up to 4 devices simultaneously. It's great that it shows when each device is no longer drawing power. Some people have complained that the lights are too bright for a bedroom, but I use this in the kitchen, where dim lights wouldn't work. It depends how you want to use it. Also, be aware that not all USB cables are equal, and if you use a poor cable, you won't get the full power. I think it would be a little more convenient if the sockets were on the top of the plug, rather than the bottom, but it's not a big deal.
on 18 September 2013
This will replace many chargers with one and it will charge two ipads. But it will not do that at high speed, as claimed, because it does not deliver enough current to do that.

PortaPow have released a new higher-current charger to address this - the PortaPow PowerStar USB Mains Charger.

If you want something compact and easy to replace lots of chargers, the PortaPow 2.5A Quad might be what you need.

If however you want to charge 2-3 tablets at maximum speed, don't buy this one.

If you are interested, this is the reason: the PortaPow Quad cannot deliver more than 2.5 Amps. If you have two iPads and want them to charge as quickly as possible, then initially they need about 2.1 Amps each. The Quad only gives them about 1.2 Amps - enough to charge them, but not what a proper iPad charger delivers.

PortaPow and Amazon use the words 'high speed' loosely (I'd say it's misleading). I think the correct text on the item description would be:

4 USB sockets - charges two iPads simultaneously but at a slower speed than a proper iPad charger.
on 9 September 2016
I bought this PortaPow charger as I wanted to charge multiple devices at once. The ability to charge tablets and phones at the same time was an appealing feature for me.

When the PortaPow charger arrived I was a little disappointed with the quality and feel of the product. It felt cheap and flimsy. However I wasn't going to let its appearance bother me if it worked and it did… at first. Connecting my cables and devices was easy and the charger worked well at first. The velcro pads supplied allow you to position the charger on a desk or surface. I had been using the charger a few weeks when I picked it up and it came apart in the hand revealing the poorly made circuit underneath as well as exposing the live electrical wires! (photographs included). This was worrying as the strength of me just removing the charger from the velcro pad caused the device to come apart. I managed to put the case back on and the charger continued to work. Just after the 12 months the charger stopped working and won't power on at all. Now I'm looking for a better USB charger as replacement.

I would recommend looking at other better built USB chargers.
review image review image review image
on 25 March 2013
I have had issues with two of these devices where they fail to charge Samsung Notes and Blackberries on the High Powered USB outlet. Watching the devices the charge constantly switches on and off. It's as if they don't like delivering too much current and have a cut out. I can't recommend this product, they have proved not fit for purpose. I am hearing looking for an alternative