Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 11 April 2012
Now this album holds many a light weight treat for afficianados of the mighty midget with the big, BIG voice! And, despite no truly rocking numbers here, Mr Marriott displays here with gusto, his growing interest in gospel and soul music which more than compensates.
Kicking off with perhaps the only bit of rock in the form of the title track, it is quickly dispensed with as the true content of this little gem of an album runs into Groovin' With Jesus, the enigmatic I Can't Stand The Rain all the way down to my personal favourite; Ninety Nine Pounds, showing the true power and beauty of the voice of the man who once said that "My skin is white, but my soul is black!"
For many rock fans, this will come as quite a shock after the much more straight rocking previous albums from the Pie in the form of Humble Pie, Rock On, Performance, Smokin' and Eat It (although this latter album was already showing signs of the direction Marriott was going in) - but if you are prepared to throw your prejudices aside and LISTEN to this album in it's entirety, you will be well rewarded.
on 31 March 2013
If youn only ever own one Humble Pie album make it this one their rendition of Dobie Grays classic Drift Away is worth the money on its own. Saw them with the Who at Charlton and bought this album the next day. Love it to bits.
on 24 May 2012
I know this album, it is my fav Humble Pie along with the eponymous album.
But I'm just wondering, maybe somebody can help me here: how good is this particular version? I have bought several cd's from the label Lemon, and they're often just a transfer of the Lp onto cd (Pat travers, Cozy Powell,...). Is it the case here? What about the booklet, Do we get the full picture?

Anyway a great album, just curious about this edition. Comments welcome!
on 10 September 2012
I thought the Small Faces were fantastic. The voice and guitar of Steve Marriot cannot be forgotten once heard.
So Thunderbox is an extension of Steve Marriot and because of that I cannot stop playing it.
on 16 September 2012
Bought this as a replacement for an old vinyl LP. The price was good as I have had it in my wish list for a long time at £20+! The CD arrived promptly and is fine, but the accomanying info has a number of odd mistakes in the lyrics. Not a problem, but presumably a result of being a Japanese import. I love some songs and hate others, but Steve Marriott's voice is so wonderful.... It's made me listen again to all my other Humble Pie CDs!
on 10 April 2008
This Pie long player is a great rocking party record.Thunderbox one day will be seen as Steve Marriotts masterpiece.
on 1 October 2015