on 18 May 2015
As accidental "one click to buy" purchases go, I think I could've done worse.

As a first foray into the world of folding bikes, I could've done considerably better.

That being said, I have used this bike daily on my multimodal commute for the past five months with little complaint.

PROS:

1.) Cost - definitely one of the cheapest folding bikes on the market.

2.) Simple fold - no complicated folding techniques. Just one hinge on the frame which folds / unfolds the bike in a matter of seconds.

3.) Comfortable riding position - once the handlebars and saddle height are suitably adjusted. I am just under six foot tall and purchased an extra long promax handlebar stem to accommodate. I think anyone over six foot would struggle for comfort.

4.) Six gears - ample for city commute.

5.) Sturdy ride - bike frame doesn't flex when riding

6.) Comes equipped with extras - bell, mud guards, folding pedals, rack.

7.) Classic look

CONS:

1.) Heavy - weight becomes quite noticeable if you have to lug it over distance or up stairs.

2.) Handlebars don't fold - this makes the bike considerably less compact than other fold ups.

3.) Construction issues - the bike rattles a lot, even after tightening every possible screw. Brakes require regular alteration and cables have a propensity for coming out of housing. Gears need tinkering with to ensure they all work.

In short, I would not buy this if you are planning on using it on a rush hour tube / train commute. The bike just does not fold small enough.

If you are after a bike which needs to be compact enough to store indoors and is for use around a city and are on a budget, I would recommend it.
33 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 June 2012
I quickly paged through the instruction guide, to find it was pretty useless.
And used common sense instead. I assembled the bike very easily except the supplied allen key was the wrong size to fit the back rack to the bike.
It took me about half an hour to put together it was very easy.
Once assembled I folded the bike which was pretty neat but the design flaw is it needed to collapse the handle bars to lay flat to the frame of the bike but you cant without getting the tool kit out again. What this means is the width of the bike when folded is always the width of the handle bars. If it had the same mechanism as the seat, it would have been great.
So don't think you can put this in a bag and carry it on a train without taking tools with you!
44 comments| 178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 August 2012
This bike weighs 15kg. Folded down it is still an awkward shape and is quite difficult to get into the boot of my car (Mk 1 Focus). To collapse the bike there is the hinge in the middle (well made and very solid) and you can lower the seat using a quick release. That's it - the pedals don't fold and the handlebar stays upright.

Assembly is OK if you know how to fit/adjust the wheels and set the brakes/gears - a trip to the bike shop for many people.

Riding the bike is exhausting, the tyres are wide and chunky (I inflated them to the correct pressure) - 1 mile on this is like 10 on normal bike.

This bike is OK for occasional use (e.g. I took my car to be serviced and cycled back), for commuting think again.

Martin
22 comments| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 October 2015
Even bearing in mind that this is a very cheap folding bike it is terrible quality.
I have had it for 4.5 months and used it to commute about 4-6 times a week for an half hour round trip on marked cycle paths.
*It arrived scratched
*I am 50kgs and 5'3 and could not get the seat to stay up at the required height no matter how tightly it was done up
*the handle bars would twist around in the boot of my car so would need straightening up every time I came to use it
*the gears changed when they felt like it, I was often left cycling around everywhere in fourth gear
*the chain regularly came off
*only the rear brakes where nearly tight enough and the cables where free
*i believe the inner tube of the rear tyre has ruptured making the bike unusable and will be costly to fix
*the rear reflector just fell off while cycling
*the left pedal liked to fold in of it's own accord while cycling

I do not feel like this is expected wear and tear for the time I have had it or the use it has received.
on 19 January 2014
Amazing, the price of this bike says it all, it is amazing. Slightly heavier than the expensive fold ups, but are you really going to carry it around or just ride it???? I would thoroughly recommend this.
on 3 July 2015
I bough 2 bikes for my niece and nephew to make easier their school journey. They were easy to put together - however, the second time they used them and first time riding to school they had to stop very often as the seat was not on properly and couldn't change gears. So they ended up walking as it was safer than riding their bike.
I took them to our local person who fixes bikes and he gave me the following report:
" Gears skipping and chain shifting into wheel. Cannot adjust correctly. Chain keeps coming off front chain ring. Chain will not stay in gear.
Very poor quality. Not fit for purpose!"
Needless to say, I am very annoyed at the poor quality of these bikes - please, consider spending a bit more money to get something better.
I have learnt my lesson now.
on 9 June 2012
I had some misgivings about ordering this product due to some negative reviews that had been written about it, but these fears were unfounded. This bike is simple to put together, looks great, is compact and good to ride. Contrary to some opinions, you do not need to be an engineer to set this bike up and it should not take more than half an hour. In addition, fully folded, this bike fits into the boot of a Ford Ka (a much smaller boot than a Fiesta) easily. The only negative comment I have is that it is a little heavy in comparison to some of its competitors.
on 27 September 2014
Pros:
The Price.
Sturdy build.
Comfortable saddle

Cons:
Arrived with gears not properly indexed. Within first week of use, chain got thrown between sprocket and frame on a night ride. Was able to limp bike home after several minutes spent trying to get the chain unstuck and the bike moving again. Not impressed!

Rear brakes are controlled by right brake lever and front brakes by left brake lever. I have never heard of such a thing. A dangerous set up for an emergency stop.

Seat height not high enough for me (I'm 5' 11" tall).

Other comments.
I've seen a few comments about the weight. I'm not so bothered with the weight to be honest, folding bikes are usually heavy.That said, I was never able to carry it off a platform comfortably without unfolding it (Not very courteous to other rail passengers).

I should have noticed the mountain bike tires. Great for off-road cycling, but it's not for me.

It's a comfortable bike, but you won't be going anywhere in a hurry.

In a nutshell, I would have kept the bike, but the Con's listed above were insurmountable for me.
on 6 October 2014
Read some ambiguous reviews about this bike. I bought two, one for the wife. Arrived needing some loving care and patience to assemble, nothing too major. What a wonderful machine and well worth the money. Took them on holiday for the wife and I (both of us could be described as large), quick to fold out and use. Good gear range, sturdy construction and felt safe to ride. Not exactly lightweight but well made and well equipped.
on 10 May 2012
SUPERB BIT OF KIT!! I ORDERED THIS FOLD UP BIKE FOR MY WIFE BUT LIKED IT SO MUCH THAT I RETURNED MY (DAMAGED) FOLD UP MOUNTAIN BIKE AND REPLACED IT WITH THE FOLDING CITY BIKE. GREAT FOR TAKING AWAY IN THE BACK OF OUR CAR WHEN WE GO FOR BREAKS IN OUR TOURING CARAVAN. GOOD CHUNKY TYRES AND A STURDY FRAME PLUS 6 GEARS - IDEAL FOR OUR NEEDS. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.