Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.49

on 8 October 2014
I always get great enjoyment from reading this author's book and I am no child. This is the story of Joan of Arc,who I admit I knew very little about but instead of being told in a dusty boring way he tells it through the eyes of a sparrow. Very well done and recommend it to any age.
on 8 June 2017
Good book
on 25 April 2012
I thought that this book was very interesting and that it was extremely fun to read. The book made me want to turn the page each time I had finished the page! Also I was so indulged in the book that I didnt want to do anything other than carry on. I do hope that if you or someone in your family reads this book that they enjoy it as much as I did.
I hope that you buy this book and I also stongly recommend other Michael Morpurgo books to you as well.
Thank you for reading my review I hope that it has helped you.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 August 2012
The story of Joan of Arc was first published by Michael Morpurgo in 1998 - this is the same story just published with a brand new and more appealing cover and the title is slightly different.
Aimed at younger readers, this fictional combined with historical truth story is simply told and written in the usual engaging style that readers expect from Michael Morpurgo.
The story begins with the story of Eloise Hardy, a lonely girl who lives in Orleans. Eloise has always admired Joan greatly. She thinks of her as a guardian angel and longs to be like her. One day and feeling desperately upset after not being chosen to be Joan of Arc in the town parade, Eloise decides to skip school and spend the day by the river, just opposite the site of the Tourelles. As she drifts off to sleep in the sun, she hears a mysterious voice, just like Joan did all those years ago and the voice tells her the story of Joan of Arc.
I think anyone interested in history will enjoy this book and it's ideal to use as a teaching aid in primary schools. The story is moving and as expected, the ending brought a lump to my throat. If an adult is sharing this with a youngster, it may be worth preparing them for the sadness at the end.
on 2 May 2012
There is no better way to sum up this book than in the author's own notes to his book. He set out to uncover 'the real Joan' of Arc. He had found that many of the plays and books written about her portray her as too saintly or remote, not a living, breathing girl who led the French armies and ended up horribly killed by burning as a witch. To that end, he has researched the topic in detail and used historical sources as the framework for his story.
Of course, historical sources do not tell us the innermost thoughts of any character, and Morpurgo wanted to offer that insight, so invented the sparrow of the title to accompany her everywhere and be party to her private moments. I found that this works extremely well: it does not appear odd because we are familiar with other modern writers (Rowling; Pullman for example) who give their characters animal companions, yet it also adds something of the extraordinary to Joan's story - such a creature is ambiguous: is her sparrow a witch's familiar or does it represent her soul?
Those who usually find it hard to read history will find the book easy to get into: the story starts with a modern girl facing a move to a strange new town and ends with her too, linking her with Joan in a way which allows us to see the legendary saint also as an ordinary person taken out of her surroundings and facing extraordinary challenges.
This is a book which can be read by anyone, not just children, interested in finding out more about Joan. Try it!
on 14 April 2012
I usually live Michael Morpurgo books and had read this with the intention of reading this with 10 year old children. However there are too many swear words in the text to do this. The text is historically accurate but the language is not appropriate for the intended age group!
on 13 December 2013
I enoyed this very much. My only reservation was several references to Joan "saying Mass". Surprising to some it may be, but ladies do not say Mass, they attend and join in the celebration of Mass. Even in the Middle Ages, all Priests were men.

In all other respects I enjoyed the story.
on 31 December 2012
I think that this book is the best one that I have ever read. I would recommend this book to anyone who like legends ,history or Michael morpurgo books. I would say that this book is a five star book.
on 25 February 2013
'Sparrow' is a amazing, historic fairytale about a seventeen year old girl called Eloise who has a dream about the heroine Joan of Arc and her life story. It all starts with a little, white Sparrow...It is an epic thriller and and cliffhanger! You should read it! Like I said, You'd be SUPER MAD not to like it!
on 30 August 2013
A good book with lots of imagination and facts. The book is good because it shows how Joan was scared about,what she had to do but still did it. She wad very brave and a heroine.
Evie, age 9.