on 1 January 2013
Succinct, yet warm, accessible yet meaningful. For these reasons this is by far the best book on mindfulness i have ever read. Highly recommended; do yourself a kindness and buy this wondeful little book.
on 9 April 2017
Excellent little book of support and wisdom. Easy to read and easy to apply the mindfulness approach. I liked this book so much that I bought a few copies for family and friends. A great companion.
on 15 November 2013
I have other books on Mindfulness - but this little book sums up
all the main principles in a clear, jargon free and re-freshing manner.
It gets to the main points without being overly theoretical, but enough to
understand perfectly. Like other reviewers here, I can recommend this
without any reservations.
on 19 March 2014
Straight forward easy read about focussing on the moment. I would recommednd this to anyone interested in mindfulness and thginking about the value of meditation.
on 25 July 2017
Very good book
on 5 April 2016
My favourite mindfulness book...outstanding!
on 24 July 2014
Great book. So easy to read and most importantly the content is wonderfully useful.

Having read over 4 hundred books on Psychology, this is a book I would highly recommend for anyone who is frustrated by the incessant thinking and fretting. The ideas are clearly described, very usable and highly effective.
on 14 July 2013
As far as overviews into mindfulness go, this book does well. It is clear and concise in its delivery making the text readable and accessible for all, not just academics.

Doyle has broken down the subject of mindfulness into bite-size, manageable topics making it easy to take in the information provided. The sub-sections in which these topics are placed provide a gradual path that takes you through brief explanations and applications for real life. They also provide handy reference points if you're looking to skim read this book for the sections you require.

However, for me as a novice within this area, I found this book created more questions than it answered. The more I read the more I wanted to question, and that subsequently led to me challenging the concept of mindfulness - something I'm sure the author did not intend. I think the topic of mindfulness brings up many queries as it is being discussed, and although Doyle touches upon some of them, I found myself seeking bigger, greater explanations. As the title suggests 'Plain & Simple' Doyle was obviously trying to avoid complex discussions and explanations. Unfortunately his approach wasn't quite indepth enough for me.

As a starting text I would recommend this book for anyone. Given that it's short in length, basic and provides an outline, it will certainly provide you with enough of an insight to decide if you wish to pursue further texts. If you're looking to read this book to further your knowledge, this just isn't the text you're looking for!
33 Comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 June 2013
I found this book impossible to put down and at a time in my life where I question everything I thought was lacking, it made me mindful of how fortunate I am; and that happiness and peace come from within and have always been there. The exercises are explained easily and as a mental health nurse I feel I can share with my patients what I practice at home. A peaceful skill for life, that shuts out the negative noise from our chattering brains.
on 13 June 2017
Such a lovely, lovely book.
After years of stressing and pressurising myself with self help books after a wobbly upbringing, I have finally found something that actually makes me feel happier and calmer about everything. It's written in a very calm, laid back, accessible style, which leaves you feeling free from the overwhelming demands of other self help books I've read. I don't think I need to read any other self help books, other than those promoting mindfulness techniques.

A great book.