on 16 June 2013
Such a shame - if this book had avoided so much repetition it would have got five stars, but when you are reading the same facts using more or less the same words in chapter after chapter, the novelty begins to pall. That said, I learned a lot about Tom Jones which was of interest, and the book certainly managed to explain how he has managed to stay at the top of his game over so many decades, to become a British/Welsh icon to succeeding generations of music lovers. I have to say I hated most of his early stuff, particularly the ballads, but for me his voice comes into its own when singing soul, blues etc. and I have thoroughly enjoyed his later collaborations with people like Jools Holland and Cerys from Catatonia. If severely edited, this would be a very good biography.
on 31 May 2014
I don't know about this. I bought it because I decided that I didnt really know much about Tom but felt I should. I'd seen a YouTube clip when he sang Its Not Unusual back in the 60s and he was sexy as hell!!! I think it was probably the authors way of writing that I felt was lacking, she made Tom come across as not very bright- sorry but that's the impression I got. Throughout the book it kept harping on about Toms wife and how he would have affairs but always come back to her, yes I get the picture Gwen but it was repeated ad nauseum. Anyway I can't recommend you to buy this but I can't say don't. I found it just average.
on 10 September 2013
This was Ok but as other reviewers have said very very repetitive . Its as if the author wrote each chapter in isolation but then never re read the whole book. Changed my mind a bit on Tom Jones - seems very nice on The Voice and I've always like his singing but obviously an old fashioned man who believes he can do what he wants in life and to hell with hurting anyone. Felt sorry for the wife but she chose to accept it.......
on 25 May 2013
I enjoyed reading about Tom Jones, not having ever been a big fan, but having a general interest in him since seeing him on the voice. I did not enjoy the writing style too much from a book point of view, it was almost as if this one book was written from one in depth interview .... lots of repetition of facts ... particularly relating to the 'speculation' on his relationship with his wife.
on 28 March 2018
Good read
on 29 June 2015
Loved this book I thought I knew everything about Tom Jones it seems I didn't it was warm with without being mushy no whitewash it had all the nuts and bolts of his life I felt sorry for Linda not being able to share his fame .hope she will have a bit more of Tom as they get older but I can't see Tom taking it easy watching him on the voice he is still sexy and vibrant with that twinkle in his eye
on 12 July 2012
The account was self indulgent fan based writing. The author's research limited and poorly expressed. Overall a unimaginative account. It is an extended Facebook entry.
7 people found this helpful
on 25 July 2012
I didn't need to be told 3 or more times the same facts. it's one thing for someone to set the scene and then have some dialogue, but to have the scene set, the auther tell the story and then have Tom give the same account in dialoge fasion was totally unnessary. A disapointing read.
on 25 September 2013
I would recommend everyone to read this book , I thoreraly enjoyed every word . Tom Jones is one of the sexiest guys on earth
2 people found this helpful
on 26 February 2015
Okay. Just. Very repetitive and offers very little that we don't know already.
Tom Jones has an extraordinary idea of what it means to love your wife.........
He's a great singer.....but this book is boring.