on 17 February 2013
I bought this because as a Northern Ireland Veteran myself, I had walked the streets of Belfast as a young 18 year old Rifleman. I was not prepared for for how close to home this book would hit me tears were shed at some of the stories here. The names were all the same, even some of the incidents brought back memories of a conflict, our Government would like us to all forget. Not enough is written about this, the longest operation that the British army has been involved with and I feel the style with which the author uses captures the feeling of what it was like to be there, on the streets of Britain, fighting an unseen enemy. The book tackles the soldiers own stories with factual anecdotes from the author which brings everything into context. Well written and enjoyed every last word...now to read Ken's other books on the conflict....
Highly recommended!!!
on 30 May 2010
A good read.

Stories from servicemen, who like others went to forgotten wars. This week (the end of May 2010), as we remember Dunkirk, read the story's of those who also like the Italian, Burma and Korean campaigns went to a forgotten "WAR".

I spent six and a half years of my twenty-two years military service in Northern Ireland, did I waste my time, who knows? I never went to a real war, just the "TROUBLES" but over 3700 civilians, men, women, children, police and service personal lost their lives and for what? As a soldier in NI I new where the TERRORISTS lived, be they IRA (now called Dissident Republicans)or UVF or whatever each faction called itself. Could I have killed them, well yes I suppose so but Britain is not a Banana Republic, or is it? Did others do so, who knows? This book, as in previous ones gives individuals the chance to tell their stories.

In 1996, according to my NATO Medal, I was in the FORMER YUGOSLAVIA, there I met an American who, because of Iraq War, looked on me like a fellow comrade in arms. That was until I told him I was presently detached from my unit in Northern Ireland. Then to him I became the enemy, why? Well he came from Boston and for years had been giving money to the IRA (NORAID). So then I had this American, a Baptist until he went to collage, explain to me, a second generation Irish Catholic British Soldier, the problem with Northern Ireland. Which was? I and my fellow soldiers where there, that was the problem. So I had this "SPAM" from the USA, who had supported Irish "Terrorist" for years telling me, a British Soldier, that I was the problem. This I found bizarre! So according this Americans logic the problem in Afghanistan is us being there?

Tell that to those who have lost loved ones in American, Britain, Canada, Germany, Italy, Poland, Etc in Iraq and Afghanistan, what would they think?

Read this book and weep for the soldiers in Afghanistan. My last job in Northern Ireland was to photograph the IED before the ATO did the long walk. It took nearly six days before he did that. Now with nothing more than a glorified metal detector and a bayonet they clear over ten a day. Rather them then me! Somethings never change. Lions Led By Donkeys!
on 17 July 2014
Cant give any more praise than has been given previously.As an OP Banner Vet whos tours were in 80s and 90s,i was aware of what those who 'walked the backwards walk' before me had endured and reading this and his other titles makes it more vivid as the accounts are written by the veterans themselves and not some second hand "bigged up" tale that mostly ended up like a sort of Chinese whisper.The descriptions these men gave of their feelings of dread and anticipation brought back my own memories of how I felt the first time I jumped off a chopper to start trudging across the killing fields of South Armagh.Once again a big thank you to Ken for bringing the story of Op Banner to the public.
on 21 May 2010
For those who did not take part in the Northern Ireland conflict this is a first class insight to what it was like to face the daily routine of shootings, bombings and sectarian violence. Never knowing as you got ready to go out on your next patrol if it was going to be your last!

For those of us who did take part in one of the longest internal security operations ever mounted by the British Army this book is another reminder of the way it was. Two minutes into the first recollection and I was back there just as if I had never been away! The feelings and fears all returned in a few seconds along with the adrenalin rush that most of us used to counter the short spells of inactivity when we had too much time to think!

Well done to Ken Wharton for once again bringing together the stories of soldiers who were actually there. I believe the book will provide an insight for those who are interested of what it was actually like to lose friends and comrades doing a thankless job keeping the peace, not in some far flung part of the world which few people can pronounce without difficulty but within the United Kingdom!

Bloody Belfast: An Oral History of the British Army's War Against the IRA
on 14 January 2011
In his book Bloody Belfast, Ken Wharton has awoken in me, for the first time in many years, the time I spent in Northern Ireland and the loss of so many good friends who died over there.It also brought into perspective the poor treatment that we received from an ungrateful nation and the lack of interest shown over the whole time by the political classes and the MOD.I have nothing but respect for the young men and woman who now serve in our armed forces, I do however warn them that as soon as they are out of Afganistan they will be consigned to the same historical bin as those of us who served in Malaya, Aden, Kenya, Korea, Cyprus the Falklands and all the other conflicts that the armed forces have been involved in since 1945.
I spent over 3 years of my life invovled in N.I. Was it worth it? I believe it was, for the sake of the decent people who suffered as we did because of the gangsters and psychopaths who brought shame and terror to a small part of the United Kingdom. Keep up the good work Ken you are helping a lot of us who are no longer young, to remember what it really was like to serve in a terrorist war in your own country.
on 3 May 2010
Ken has given a voice to the silent majority who walked the streets and fields of Northern Ireland. Bloody Belfast, along with his other two books tells it as it really was for the junior soldier. For Op Banner veterans, it brings back the sights, sounds and smells of what it was like to serve in the province. For all those who did not serve and say that it was not a war, read the stories of those who were there and see if you hold the same opinion. The Roll of Honour says it all.
A tribute to all of us who learned to walk backwards.
on 20 November 2012
This book has delivered on all counts. It was a birthday gift for my husband and he is over the moon with it.
According to him it's really well written, evocative and accurate.
We are hoping to buy the other books by this author as soon as we can, money well spent!
Delivery was very fast too:)
on 15 June 2010
I haven't read the previous book "Bullet Bombs and Cups of Tea", but I found the first book "A Long Long War" fascinating. I think this book is even better than the first.

Unlike many contributors on here, I do not have any first hand experience of this conflict other than seeing it on the news! Relatively little has been written about this subject - certainly not from the point of view of the British soldier, so the book is an interesting perspective. Most other books on NI are more acadmeic analysis at the high political level rather than first hand experience at ground level.

The book is straight from the horses mouth the authoer being an ex-squaddie who served in Northern Ireland. It is very insightful and you can really start to empathise with these young lads on the hostile streets of Northen Ireland, sharing their emotions and fears, loss and comraderie.

An interesting conspiracy theory about the American sniper btw - you'll have to read the book to find out!
on 17 June 2012
what a really good read, amazing insight of what was going on in the streets of Ireland,brutal and honest,why was this era never given more airtime to the UK public.seems all the troops on the streets were given the finger almost like the yanks in Vietnam when they returned==
on 29 March 2010
Soldiers are traditionally sceptical and suspicious of writers;despite the ruffy-tuffy exterior,a defence against further damage, they fear being exploited by those who do not know,and can never know, of the world that they lived and walked in, and the scars that can be so easily and carelessly opened.
Ken Wharton is one of us - he has walked the same streets and suffered the same pain and traumas, so has been able to present the stories of those so long ignored and sidelined by society. The smells, the sounds, the tastes, the sights that all of those who served in Northern Ireland know so well - it is all here, truly pictures painted in words.
Ken's books have ensured that the near 40 years of sacrifice,duty and humour that supported generations of British Soldiers will never be forgotten. This was our lives - and for many, still is, every day.
Ken has allowed our voices to be heard;and our Fallen friends to be remembered as they should be. Thanks, mate.
Stevie, British Army veteran