Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 22 February 2013
This is a very readable history of the Scottish Highlands. It paints a picture of the scenery, society, religion, hardships etc. of the time. I was so engrossed in the book that I found it extremely difficult to put down! I am an ex-pat Scot living in England but I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical novels which help you feel you are living in that time. The characters within are extremely believable and you quickly get to know their strengths and weaknesses. I was sad when I finished it!!
on 1 February 2013
I really enjoyed this lovely tale. I understand the author sadly died 6 months ago. He has certainly left a legacy as regards the written word. At points the story was predictable but this did not detract from my enjoyment. It was interesting to learn more of the history of the clearances and I now understand in what way the Scottish "free" church is free. Would recommend, no sex or gratuitous violence.
on 15 February 2013
A well written book that is enthralling from start to finish and a book that you are unable to put down without finishing it at one read. It is a story about 'man's inhumanity to man that makes countlress thousands mourn' and is as relevant today as it was then in years gone by.
on 15 February 2013
Excellent read. Very informative about the highland clearance and about the dissention in the Church of Scotland. Great social history back ground, plus a lovely 'will they or won't they' romance running through the story. Throughly readable and a real page turner.
on 27 April 2011
I was doubtful about this book when I read that the author apparently had no connection with Scotland at all. His description of life in the Highlands in the mid 19th century seems reasonably well researched but the same cannot be said for his research on the church of the time and its ministers. To have a Presbyterian minister offering to pray for the soul of a deceased parishioner is an outrageous mistake, just a howler, as is the gift to the minister of a prayer book. The character of the minister and particularly his spirituality is not explored in any depth. The book is an easy read but do not expect any profundity.
on 20 March 2013
An easy, uncomplicated book that despite the often predictable storyline nevertheless maintains the interest of the reader by linking the story to the historical background of the plight of crafters in the Highlands and the dubious involvement of the Church.
on 24 March 2013
A most fascinating and gripping book. Such strong characters . This book for me had it all. I'd recommend it to others to read.Enjoy it. I'm away to read the next E.V.Thompson book.

I Hume.
on 13 March 2014
One of the best E.V. Thompson books that I have read. Gets off to an interesting start and for me not too many characters to keep tracks on. This is a story I will read again in a couple of years time.
on 19 February 2013
I read this book about 10years ago and loved it then I still think it's a great read. Romantic fiction but NOT Mills & Boone mush. Set in 18th century Scotland. Evelyn Hood readers would like this.
on 29 August 2014
Set at the time of the split of the Church of Scotland from being established. Minister and Estate manager have different attitudes to local tenants. Then the Minister goes independent.