on 9 January 2010
John Wilson has created the best light orchestra I have heard for many a long year.

For me it is nostalgic due to the fact that I'm terribly old (77) so I can sit listening to it whilst dreaming away of the days when life was no hassle, happy, great fun and less intense than to-day.

For me the best recording is one I had to have specially created for me of the John Wilson Orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall playing music from MGM musicals.

I have all his CDs but there can never be enough, so maybe he will jog up and down waving his baton to many more.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 September 2012
This is another CD released by Vocalion that features the John Wilson Orchestra playing popular melodies arranged by Angela Morley. She has arranged many popular and classical works for performers such as Leopold Stokowski, Placido Domingo, Yo Yo Ma, and Frederica von Stade. She has also worked as orchestrator, composer or arranger on many film scores, such as Star Wars, E.T., Home Alone and Schindler's List. It was she who arranged the lovely waltz tune by the Sherman brothers for the British television version of the Cinderella story, The Slipper and the Rose.

This CD features 16 songs from the American Songbook - some are songs from movies or Broadway shows, others are songs written for Tin Pan Alley. Some are very well known, like Vernon Duke's `April in Paris', Jerome Kern's `Smoke gets in your eyes', the Gershwins' `Embraceable you'; and Rodgers and Hart's `Where or when'. But other tracks, though still popular, are less well-known - titles like Claude Thornhill's `Snowfall'; Kern's `Nobody else but me'; and Johnny Mandel's `Emily'. This is a thoroughly entertaining hour of popular music in individual arrangements.
on 28 January 2012
Nice to be still able to buy real music, Sit and relax with this CD,If you like orchestral music You will not be disappionted. John Wilson and his orchestra are to be congratulated for their performance.
on 20 July 2014
I love easy listening type of music and this CD fits the bill. I hate previews because I don't wish to go on endlessly about the artiste or product. I know what I like,thats why I bought it. No complaints. Thank you.
on 10 September 2011
very lovely relaxed arrangments - top band great sound - john on form as normal worth your dosh should release more stuff
on 18 June 2013
If you like smooth music then this is for you. The arrangements are out of this world, especially Lonely Town.
This is just the music to get all nostalgic over. I loved every minute of it.
on 25 December 2015
Disappointing.
I always have loved the arrangements of John Wilson's music. His orchestra with swing numbers is brilliant. Should have chosen more carefully
before ordering this one.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 March 2016
Amazing music, perfect to play again and again; I am more than satisfied once again with John Wilson and his orchestra!
on 6 March 2013
Because Amazon make it possible for me to play the music I select . If I like it, I dowload it.
on 22 October 2015
first class if you like this type of music, nice easy listening and excellent orchestrations.