on 11 August 2017
Japan, Spring 1615, Jack who had been trained as a Samurai was traveling with his friends Saburo, Yori and Miyuki were trying to get to Nagasaki where Jack was to board a ship for England, the Shoguns Samurai were hunting Jack, he had been banished from Japan after fighting against him in the fight for Osaka Castle, Jack was now 15yrs, at the port they disguised themselves as pilgrims, eventually they found a ship bound for Nakasaki, Ninja pirates attacked the ship and Jack and his friends are captured, the ship was taken by a Samurai ship, this ship was hunting pirates and heading for their hide out,

Tatsumaki the pirate queen captured the ship and all were taken to the pirate hide out, many ships were harboured, there is a bloody battle between the ships of the Shogun and the pirates, the pirates came out on top, Jack and his friends are released, the Samurai insulted by this send out a huge fleet to destroy the pirates for good, they knew the secret cove where they lived, Jack and his friends escape in a small boat again headed for Nagasaki

My verdict, good story, lots of battles, excellent book
on 24 August 2017
Brilliant book. Highly recommend it for the age group it is targeted at. Got it for my nephew and he really enjoyed it.
on 31 July 2017
Eldest has enjoyed the series....
on 12 October 2016
a good read
on 22 August 2017
Seven books in the series must be loosing some steam. Wrong!!! What an incredible rollercoaster of a ride. Every time Jack and his friends escaped one situation they were thrown or faced with an even deadlier threat. I was exhausted just reading it. This I think was the best book of the series so far for me.

Forced to take to the sea Jack and his friends must face every danger imaginable, from mortal but deadly Ninja Pirates, to natural predators like sharks, and the fury of the ocean it's self.

There are also more of a spiritual touch to this book, spirits, fortune tellers , and the return of an old advisory. However the best thing about this book is the way Jack manages to put all his skills and knowledge together. His sea faring knowledge earned from years at sea, his samurai & ninja fighting skills and mist of all it tactical and leadership skills he has developed in the last few book.

This book is like a Michelin star meal made from all the great ingredients of the previous books in the series so far. Awsome!!!
on 16 March 2012
I bought this for my son Matthew but even before he'd finished reading it, I found myself sneaking into his bedroom, once he'd fallen asleep to borrow it. At the last parent/teacher evening at his school, his teacher advised that he should look to broaden his reading and asked, "Has he tried The Harry Potter books?" Come on Mrs Morgan! From the first page to the last, I was gripped and if Chris Bradford's writing is capable of doing this to me at my age, its effect on a 12 year old boy is truely a pleasure to behold.
My passions in life are my family, martial arts and reading. Thank-you once again Chris for allowing me to share these with my son. In the same way, my father and I would devour the Hornblower books together, Matthew and I cannot wait until the release of the Ring of Sky.
VINE VOICEon 1 August 2012
Young Samurai is a guilty pleasure for me for a number of reasons. Firstly the author brings the full flavour of Japan to the modern young reader in much the same way that James Clavell did for adults. He promotes positive attributes and of course he gives the reader a solid story to engage them mentally and emotionally.

Here in this title, he brings the gang of friends to the sea with a tale involving Dragon's and Pirates alongside the usual threats from the Shogun's unrelenting pursuit. Its wonderfully woven and when you add a magical writing style that gives the reader characters that they can associate with, makes this a series that's hard to beat. All in a cracking story and one that really builds for the next one where the Ring saga is building towards it finale.
on 16 March 2012
This time Jack needs to use all his skills to survive, not only Samurai and Ninja skills he has learnt along the way, but also his experience while sailing with his father. Along with his loyal friends, this book is another adrenalin filled story from start to finish, impossible to put down. Get a copy now, and continue this series as Jack fights for his life to reach his final destination in Japan. Will he make it to a ship bound for England in the next book? I cannot wait to find out! Keep up the great writing Chris :)
on 28 March 2012
Epic, legendary and a classic just waiting to happen were a few of the words I could think of after getting hooked on these amazing exploits. This is a tale that cannot be compared to any other in terms of any element that a good adventure story needs. Characters are vibrant and memorable and have kept me hooked ever since I had the pleasure of reading the very first book of the series. An impossibly fast read, even for slower readers. It grips you and keeps you there, like a ninja trailing his/her target.
on 10 March 2013
I rate this book 5 out of 5 because it has all the context of what any adventure fan would enjoy maybe even more. In this book Jack must learn to harness the ring of wind in tithe process he makes new friends and at the end discovers a devastating secret. I wish that Yamato actually lived but otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed this book I recommend it to young boys or girls of ten or eleven