on 18 March 2013
This book was good but was very short. It only took me 3 days to read with 45 minutes to read. But once again it was a good book!!
on 13 July 2016
A lovely understandable book of friendship
EMMA really understood this book she loved it. I hope there more like it. Y A Y
on 16 October 2013
I rate this book 5 because I think that young people like me can read It and understand what is going on, like other book sometimes the words are tricky so you can't read it by yourself. There are I few hard words in there, so it makes you think, but there aren't a lot of tricky word. It is amazing one of the best books I have read. I am 9 years of age and it is brilliant for mums to read to there children as long as they can understand what is happening because one of the most important thing is that you understand what is going on in the book. I read it by myself and knew what was going on.
on 9 February 2013
This was my first kindle read to a class of thirty (year four). The plot of the story has captivated the children and many have become interested in the process of publishing books. We have also worked on turning scenes into play script too.
The children with kindles cannot wait for the next Poppy and Lily installment.
Definitely recommended.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 15 March 2015
MILD SPOILERS. Poppy has found a silver key and a mysterious woman, who may be a witch, wants it and has enlisted a local bully to retrieve it. Chases, suspense and adventure follow. END SPOILERS.

This is a conventional adventure that has been written in an exciting but plain and straightforward style that would probably suit an early reader. And I mean that in a good way. The set up, two sisters move with their parents to an old house in an out of the way English village, in which the younger sister finds a mysterious silver key, is unexceptional. The events that follow this discovery are equally predictable. The resolution is efficient and just as predictable.

The strength, and the appeal that I see, is that the book is crisply and clearly written. The pace is extremely fast and the plot develops quickly. Vocabulary seems age appropriate. The characters, (sisters, neighbor girl, helpful school mates, understanding adults, parents, bully), are all presented just as you would expect. The action is easy to follow, and the story just barrels along.

There is no irony and no goofing on the genre. There are no odd missteps or weird changes in tone. Descriptions are effective and dialogue is straightforward. There are no red herrings and no confusing shifts in the storytelling to throw off a young reader. The general tone is suspenseful yet upbeat and I would expect it to thrill rather frighten a young reader.

I could see a young reader getting a kick out of this book and feeling a certain sense of satisfaction at having completed it. I could also see it encouraging that reader to develop a taste for more advanced and complex magical adventure tales. That alone seems to make the book worth a look for your younger reader.

Please note that I found this book while browsing kindleunlimited freebies. I have no connection at all to either the author or the publisher of this book.
on 1 June 2012
9 year old daughter's review:

I got this book on my kindle as I had nothing to read. I found it a brilliant book but it is way too short. It was only 44 pages long! I read it way to quickly and now need to spend even more money on a longer book. Would be five stars but too short.

I'd recommend the book if you want to finish it quickly. Again brilliant story.
on 14 February 2012
A gorgeous little book, had my kids hanging on every word thrice over for an entire weekend in Cornwall.

Highly recommended to young and old!
on 30 July 2016
I love this book.It had a simple storyline but it was written in such a brilliant way,I always read it again and again.

Basically their are two girls called Poppy and Lily who move into a foreign place (I forgot where it is even though I read it just now!)and they meet a bully who is friends with the witch,Miss Naomi Beddows and she wants the key that Poppy has to open her spell book?What will happen next???You tell me after you read the book!!!

I would really recommend this book!No matter what your age is -it will always be a great read.Don't forget to post your reviews on Amazon!!!
on 22 January 2013
This book was short ,fantastic and mysterious as it involves some rather peculiar characters. It's full of surprises and twists, five friends together and a boy of bullying, there is also another creepy character and quite a few co-characters. I advise you to read this book, it's fantastic!!!!
on 30 May 2014
AWESOME AS MINECRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am loving this book. It is good for the Sun. (Minecraft is pretty awesome though)awesomeness is cool. I think we should all read this book because of how amazing it is.