on 7 April 2012
The book seems very good but the add gives the impression that a CD is included: it is not. for the book to be of any real benefit you will have to buy the associated CD.Teach Yourself Complete Welsh
on 8 February 2017
Returned because the title led me to assume that I would have access to the audio CD with the ebook.
on 21 August 2011
I have done Welsh before but still found this product hard to get on with. it didn't follow the book exactly and was very easy to lose where you were. The cd was too fast and did not alow enough time for responce. Compared to other teach yourself courses it's not easiest.
on 20 April 2017
I'd give this book 3.5 stars. However, I rounded up to 4.

Two points that annoyed me: 1. lack of good grammatical explainations and 2. frustrating audio layout

1. Is pretty self explainatory; it was difficult to follow this book solely using the book due to the lack of grammatical explainations. I took away 0.5 of a star for this.

2. The layout of the audio is damn right annoying.
For example, there are 5 dialogues in Unit 1. You would expect, or atleast I'd expect, each dialogue to be put on a seperate track on the CD -- not so here! They have all Unit 1's 5 dialogues and all the Welsh pronunciation audio shoved onto Track 1! And so on with the other Units.
That makes it impossible to listen to on a CD player or in the car.

Advice: Put all dialogues' audio -- the most important components of the course -- each onto a seperate track!!
Might I suggest a layout like this:

Track 1 - Welsh Pronounciation
Track 2- Unit 1 Dialogue 1
Track 3 - Unit 1 Dialogue 2
Track 4 - Unit 1 Dialogue 3
etc, etc..

I had to manually edit all the dialogues onto seperate tracks using audacity. This took up alot of time. I took away 1 star for this.

Other than the aforementioned, I am enjoying the course and with the aforesaid points corrected it could be a 5 star course.

My advice for users who may be frustrated with the speed of the dialogue's speech would be to listen multiple times and read the dialogue at the same time. Then, perhaps on a different day, try and listen out for certain words or phrases whilst just listening. Over time, you will get better.
on 28 July 2013
The idea of a language course with text and audio both conveniently accessible on the Kindle seemed like one of those "how logical - why has no one done this before" ideas. Unfortunately, despite being fully updated, the sound files were not compatible with my Kindle, or my wife's. I even tried a the Kindle app on a tablet - still no joy.
The book is great and would deserve 4 if not 5 stars, but the "value added" of the integrated sound files didn't work for us. Maybe it will in time; until then, caveat emptor, and thank goodness Amazon makes refunds so painless.
on 14 July 2012
This is a really good book if you already have some knowledge and have linguistic tendencies and skills. My husband does and it suited him down to the ground - however, if like me you want an 'easy reader' learner then I'd suggest you could struggle.
on 13 November 2011
Perhaps, if the author was more realistic-about what BEGINNERS DID NOT KNOW, it would be a good book. But she is not. The recording goes like that: IfyoualreadykwnowWelshfineotherwiseforgetit.
The speed is much too fast, the book assumes that the reader already knows some basic Welsh-I did not, and could not understand even unit one.
Total waste of money in my opinion.
on 5 October 2011
When i bought this book i did not realise it was meant to come with a CD. Therefore you need the CD in order to understand how to pronounce the words.

Its quite in depth but not overwhelming and it has a repetitive system so each chapter is organised in the same way, with a bit about speaking and reading (and listening if you have the CD).

It has a dictionary in the back one from English to Welsh and one Welsh to English which is handy.

There are a few references in the book to the CD so i would just make sure if you get the book-get the CD to go with it.
on 25 July 2015
This is a good book for learning to read and write Welsh - it's thorough and the explanations are clear. But it's not at all suitable for learning to speak or listen, despite what it says on the cover - there's no guidance on pronunciation, apart from two pages in the introduction and whatever words happen to be included in the recorded dialogues, and the dialogues and listening exercises are far too fast, and often far too complicated, for a learner to follow without help (try Lesson 12 Dialogue 3 and then tell me I'm wrong!). Do a beginner's speaking and listening course first (such as the wonderful online Say Something In Welsh or an evening class) and then use this book to work on your reading and writing.
on 27 November 2016
Having purchased and used several of these Teach Yourself language books, I was quite disappointed by this particular one. Doesn't seem to follow the same method as the others. It's almost impossible to keep up with the lessons, as there is often no translation or explanation for new vocabulary throughout. Same for the grammar. So after a few lessons I found myself completely lost and unable to continue. Just not an intuitive, gradual book for beginners. I would recommend rewriting this book from scratch as it's just not fit for purpose.